Unbolting Doors

So it might just be that I cannot think straight after finishing up my 13 hour midnights shifts at the mine....

I have unbolted doors before and its always been a cussing match. There has got to be a better way. The 3/8 ratchet and the T-40 torx just do not like to fit in the space alloted.

Anybody got any tricks to do this or some "special" tool they use to take doors off? I guess I want to know for future reference cuz I already stripped the crap outa the inside bolt on 2 doors so the cutting wheel will be coming out!!!!! :doh:

FWIW I'm working on stripping a 98 XJ so thats 24 of those little bastard bolts that gotta come out! :shake:

We've got a torx bit that we've cut down to make it shorter. Works well with the correct ratchet.

We also replace with a standard hex-head bolt to make it easier down the road if we need to take them back out.

This is what I thinking about doing...

Torx socket with a ratchet wrench slid over the driver end

i used to cuss a storm too until i discovered this trick :)

:hmm: I cannot see what you mean :hmm:

We've got a torx bit that we've cut down to make it shorter. Works well with the correct ratchet.

We also replace with a standard hex-head bolt to make it easier down the road if we need to take them back out.

take the torx bit from a screw driver set or pull it out of the socket attachment so you only have the torx bit itsself.slid the boxend of a ratchet wrench over the end you slide in the screwdriver or socket and it fits right in there. you can do it with a regular wrench but it takes forever. with a ratchet wrench its like a socket just keep ratcheting it till it comes out

take the torx bit from a screw driver set or pull it out of the socket attachment so you only have the torx bit itsself.slid the boxend of a ratchet wrench over the end you slide in the screwdriver or socket and it fits right in there. you can do it with a regular wrench but it takes forever. with a ratchet wrench its like a socket just keep ratcheting it till it comes out

gotcha :thumbsup: Wish I had another torx that big around to tear apart and try!