Gas pedal falls to floor

hi there, i just recently bought a 1987 jeep comanche pioneer it has the inline 6, 5 speed, 2WD. When i bought it, it wouldnt run and the guy said when he tried to start it last he pushed the gas pedal to the floor and then it just stayed there. as of yesterday i got the truck running after i replaced the fuel pump now I'm on the the next which is the gas pedal I'm thinking its just a spring issue but idk I'm new to the MJ but have had jeeps all my life and this is my new project I'm tyring to build cheap so any suggestions would be helpful thank you very much!!! :help:

Thanks for the reply! ive checked the throttle body and it springs back in place only problem with that is it is a little sticky and won't go all the way to idle and sticks a 1/4 the way open i assume i need to free it up a bit..ive also checked the cable that goes to the pedal and it was not connected and just hanging there so i connected it but it still doesnt retract by itself i think maybe the cable itself between the throttle body and pedal is broken somewhere i guess idk....

just got done, took the throttle body off cleaned it out real good, it was pretty bad and that was the main reason it was sticking. now the gas pedal works and the throttle body moves freely thanks!!! only thing is after i hooked up the linkage that connects directly to the throttle body lever it is now inhibiting it from closing all the way but i take it off and bam works fine could that lever be inhibiting it from going all the way closed somehow??? :???: