fuel pump issues... I think...

I have suspected my fuel pump to be going bad for a while now, and a couple weeks ago, I was on my way to work when my truck started sputtering as if it were running out of gas. I was able to sputter up to the closest auto parts store and put a new fuel pump in there in the parking lot. After I got the new one in, it started right up and ran great for about a week.

Then it started sputtering again just like it did with the old one. When I got under there and looked around, I noticed that I had failed to secure the electrical wires going to the pump and they had been dangling on the driveshaft. This rubbed the rubber off of one wire just enough to bare the copper wires inside. The other wire however, was rubbed so badly that it was only still connected by 3 of the little copper strands.

So I fixed the wires and I still had the same problem. I then tried putting some Lucas fuel injector cleaner on the tank and changing the fuel filer, but it still hasn't solved anything. Also the gas tank was replaced about 6 months ago.

I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Could I have damaged the new fuel pump by running it with the wires worn so thin?

The truck acts like it is not getting any fuel when I accelerate and it back fires, but it idles just fine.

Well, I don't think that was the problem. I was still acting up all the way home and then back into work tonight. Anybody have any other ideas? I would really appreciate the help, it makes me nervous driving it around like this.

Have you checked the O2 sensor? Mine idled fine, but seriously bogged under acceleration. New fuel filter, tune-up, all sorts of stuff had no effect. New O2 sensor - ran terrific.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll pull the sensor from my donor truck and see if that helps.