Odd wiper delay problem

My father installed an XJ column into the 89 MJ with the wiper delay. Now he gave me the truck but the intermittent wipers won't work at all. The black box is installed under the dash and it works in my XJ so its good. If I remove the black box and just plug the two wires together the wipers won't function at all, but with the box installed they work on low and high only. What could cause this weird problem? I'm stumped.. :hmm:

The delay module is the same throughout the years. It sounds like the multifunction switch in the column is the wrong one or it's bad. The correct switch w. delay is p/n 56000032. It has one more wire than the non-delay multifunction switch, seven vs. six. Count the number of wires on the harness that plugs into the delay module. Should be seven wires on the connector.

Thanks hornbrod, It is the 7 wire switch. What stumps me is that if I leave the black delay box plugged in the wipers work on low/high. If I remove the delay and plug the wires together nothing works. Even with a bad multi-function switch shouldn't the wipers still work on low/high with the wires plugged together?

Thanks hornbrod, It is the 7 wire switch. What stumps me is that if I leave the black delay box plugged in the wipers work on low/high. If I remove the delay and plug the wires together nothing works. Even with a bad multi-function switch shouldn't the wipers still work on low/high with the wires plugged together?

Impossible to predict if the MF switch is bad or not w/o ohming out the circuits through the switch in all wiper positions. Have you tried a different delay module? Lot easier than replacing the MF switch.