'93ZJ

Yesterday morn I picked up a '93ZJ, 5.2V8, auto, 4wd Quadra trac with the intention of using it for a donor for a MJ swap. Was using a tow dolly to drag it the 50 miles home. Followed the OM instructions on towing, tranny in park, TC in neutral. It didn't work. Would go about 50ft and the rear wheels locked up. Played with shift levers, go another 50 ft and rear end lock up. Did this 3 times, finally did what I should have done in the first place and dropped the drive shaft. The TC was shifting itself from neutral to gear. After getting it home I replaced the DS and drove it 5-6 miles testing everything. Everything worked. Checked TC linkage, everything checked fine, no slop, no play, adjustments on the nose. Any body got any idea on what was going on? :dunno:

The transfer case has a Viscous coupling or VC . It locks up when there is slipping between the front and rear axles . AWD's should be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground , or off .

Your not going to want to use the awd case anyways . To swap them you just need a case stamped 94/06 or earlier , swap input shafts and your good to go . The input shaft on the 93-95 ZJ is 1.55" vs .84 on all 242's and 4.0 equiped 231's .

Yep. Between your explanation and rereading the book, figured it out. Book says all 4 wheels must be raised. I never caught that. I had towed several 4wd before with out any problems. Thinking now they were trac loc and something. Not Quadratrac. What was throwing me was the fact it would go 50 feet before locking. Standard trans mentality, Not auto. :wrench: :thwak:

Yep. Between your explanation and rereading the book, figured it out. Book says all 4 wheels must be raised. I never caught that. I had towed several 4wd before with out any problems. Thinking now they were trac loc and something. Not Quadratrac. What was throwing me was the fact it would go 50 feet before locking. Standard trans mentality, Not auto. :wrench: :thwak:

It has nothing to do with the transmission. It has to do with the full-time transfer case. Putting it in neutral disconnects the transmission from the transfer case, but it doesn't disconnect the front drive shaft from the rear drive shaft. They remain connected to the internal coupling.