Parking Brake Install

So, I plan on making my truck street legal (hopefully) and there is a slight problem that would help a lot with that. The truck has absolutely no parking brake. No pedal, no handle, no anything. The PO converted the trucks rear drums to discs as well. So, my questions to you guys is can I put in a parking brake? How would I do this? What will I need?

I was thinking about if there was some cable run valve that I could install into my back brake line or something.

Do you know what disk brakes the PO installed on the rear? Most popular MJ disk brake donors are from a Jeep ZJ or Ford Explorer. Both have the parking brake shoes and mounts built-in to the backing plate. But if the PO pulled the e-brake pedal and cables he probably pulled the shoes too.

Probably the cheapest way out would be to get the correct disk backing plates w. shoes from the yard, then put in an XJ e-brake lever and cable assembly to actuate them. Do you need a parking brake in your state for registration/inspections ?

In MD, if your car looks like its more than 5 years old they will fail it. :roll: So yeah, I do require a parking brake. I will check out the brakes to see if there are backing plates or not on it. Thanks for the info.