Windshied Removal

Having a tough time with this. Bought myself this special tool in hopes it would help me out:

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-87900-Wi ... 258&sr=8-1

It kind of worked on my '88MJ, but I wound up cracking the glass in two spots so I guess it's toast. I can tell that it is not the original windshield and there is quite a bit of urethane gobbed on all around, especially in the corners, which is where I seem to be having the most trouble. I'm able to get the "knife" just under the windshield, but I am not really able to get it in at a 90 degree angle because I would then hit the plastic clips that hold the windshield trim on, which also seem to be laying in a pool of urethane and are not removable.

So, anyone got any tips?

After I get the windshield out of the MJ, it's on to the the '99XJ donor, which seems to be even more of a PITA because there is a rubber seal that goes all the way around that I cannot figure out how to remove for the life of me.

I've probably removed a dozen windshields successfully without cracking one.

I've also probably busted a dozen in unsuccessfull attempts. No matter what or how you try it hope for the best but plan on the worst. I've found a linoleum knife and a putty knife, both sharpened helps. Place the vehicle where the sun can hit direct on the windshield. This softens everything and makes it a b*@$£ to work on from the inside. Take a putty knife or wide blade screw driver and gently pry around the molding. It's old and brittle so you're going to break it anyway but try. Using the linoleum knife and a screwdriver remove as much of the urethane as you can. Run the knife along the edge of the glass cutting the urethane all the way to the metal. Then use the screwdriver and scrape it out. Be careful, don't go chipping the glass edge while doing this. Now working from the inside, take the putty knife and a hammer and place the knife flush against the glass and push and hammer until the knife cuts thru the gook. Repeat this, working your way all the way around the glass. Within the first five minutes your hands are going to be toast from the sun. After completely cutting around the glass, gently push on the top of the glass and it should push out. If using the Harbor Freight 'L' cutting tool, follow the previous directions for cutting and removing the urethane from around the glass and the use the tool. Also the old piano wire trick is still effective. No matter which method you decide upon try to remove as much urethane as you can before you even start. The main thing is to take it easy, DON'T rush it. It's a PITA but it can be done.