wiring help requested...

ok so ive been not wanting to make this pigtail for quite a while. i have an 89 4 cylinder mj, and i have put in my 96 xj drivetrain and entire front harness in. i started labeling the xj harness gray connector, which i think is c204. i looked thru a pdf format the fsm on a 95 xj. now the problem is the first #1-3 wires are correct, nothing in #4, #5-7 are good then it goes down hill. i have looked thru viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19695 but it seems i have somewhat different wiring in my xj/mj then them. I'm curiouse if anybody has a link or can post/send me a 96 fsm, and also where i found connector c204 (xj gray) all it has is the pin number- letter then 1-2 numbers- size of wire than color. i have been looking thru the wiring section for the last 2 hrs and these 2 connector just happen to not describe what the wire does. maybe I'm making this harder than it should be, but I'm not too fond at wiring. any help will be appreiated :wrench:

I got a little lost reading thru your post...i think this should get you started, from the '96 FSM for C204:

Pin 1 X58 18DB/OR Right Soundbar Speaker (-)

Pin 2 X52 18DB/WT Right Soundbar Speaker (+)

Pin 3 E2 20OR/BK Fused Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch Output

Pin 4 Z1 14BK Ground

Pin 5 M1 20PK Fused B(+)

Pin 6 X57 18BR/LB Left Soundbar Speaker (-)

Pin 7 X51 18BR/YL Left Soundbar Speaker (+)

Pin 8 Empty

Pin 9 M2 20YL Courtesy Lamp Switch Output

Pin 10 G1018 LG Seat Belt Switch Sense

Pin 11 V1318 BR/RD Rear Wiper Motor Control

Pin 12 F2018 WT Fused Ignition Switch Output (Run)

Pin 13 P3520 OR/VT Door Lock Switch Output (Lock)

Pin 14 P3620 PK/VT Door Lock Switch Output (Unlock)

Pin 15 Empty

Pin 16 Empty

thank you. now another question or 2. did you follow thoes wires thru the harness or are the descritions of them on the plug in the FSM and i missed it? the other question is- is your 96' FSM a pdf format? ive been on the greater lakes website and they have 95 not 96 and it would probably be helpful when i go to do the other connector.

did you follow thoes wires thru the harness or are the descritions of them on the plug in the FSM and i missed it?

you didn't miss anything. The plug diagram in the FSM isn't labeled in '96 either. I took the circuit info (i.e. X58) and went back into other sections of the wiring diagrams to verify what each wire was used for. After a while it gets easier, X is part of the audio system, Z is ground, and so on.

the other question is- is your 96' FSM a pdf format?

Unfortunately i have a paper copy; if i had a pdf copy i'd upload it somewhere for others to use. If you have more questions, I don't mind doing research and making more lists; its the research i'd be doing anyway when i was ready to install the harnesses in my truck.

awesome your the man :thumbsup: i have c204 labeled now. other than not having pwr door locks the only thing that I'm missing is pin #4- ground. that pin is empty?

i checked the 95 fsm c204 pinouts to yours and 95 is different than 96. so my fsm is usless to me. i went on to all data and tried finding the pinouts for c203. this is what i found

1996 C203 female pinouts

1. A241 14DG/RD A=batt. feed

2. L60 18TN/DG L=exterior lighting

3. L90 18DB/RD exterior lighting

4. G4 20DB G=monitoring circuts

5. L10 20BR/LG exterior lighting

6. L61 18LG exterior lighting

7. G9 20GY/BK monitoring circuts

8. C15 12BK/RD C=climate controls

9. L34 18LG/BK exterior lighting

10. V20 18BK/YL V=speed control,washer/wiper

11. L50 18WT/TN exterior lighting

12. P2 18BK/WT i don't have

13. P34 18PK/BK i don't have

14. G4 18DB/WT monitoring circuts

15. K4 18BK/LB K=power control module

16. N/A

so for an example

pin #1 A241 14DG/RD

A=batt feed

241 =part of main circut, unknown

14=wire size

DG/RD=wire color/tracer color

this online pdf is kinda hard to navigate, but do you think you could point me in the right direction of where to find out where the "241" on such number definitions are located or what they mean? ive tried looking thru the introduction section but am having no such luck.

other than not having pwr door locks the only thing that I'm missing is pin #4- ground. that pin is empty?

Like the power lock stuff pins missing on your harness, its probably for an accessory your donor XJ didn't have. The ground being a kind of common pin out its probably going to be difficult to trace to anything specific.

i checked the 95 fsm c204 pinouts to yours and 95 is different than 96. so my fsm is usless to me.

not surprising, '96 was the bastard year...Jeep started implementing OBDII in the XJ slowly during the model year. From what i've read, if you pulled a wiring harness from an early '96 it could be a lot different than the same harness from late in the model year's run. Honestly what we are doing isn't really the way most people would go because of all the changes made as the model year went on. At least you have the legitimate reason of having donor XJ at your disposal, me not so much.

so for an example

pin #1 A241 14DG/RD

A=batt feed

241 =part of main circut, unknown

14=wire size

DG/RD=wire color/tracer color

this online pdf is kinda hard to navigate, but do you think you could point me in the right direction of where to find out where the "241" on such number definitions are located or what they mean?

You have as much of an understanding as i do. I don't know how they assign the number, i wouldn't be surprised if on a Grand Cherokee A241 did something entirely different. What i've been doing is going thru the connectors pages to find a connector with the circuit i'm looking for including the exact same wire size and color. That's usually accurate enough, but sometimes i double check the pinout with a wiring diagrams in the other parts of section 8.

If you haven't gone thru and mapped it out, here's C203:

1. A241 14DG/RD Fuel Pump Relay Output

2. L60 18TN/DG Right Turn Signal

3. L90 18DB/RD Park Lame Switch Output

4. G4 20DB Fuel Level Sensor Signal (to instrument Panel)

5. L10 20BR/LG Back Up Lamp Switch Output

6. L61 18LG Left Turn Signal

7. G9 20GY/BK Brake Warning Lamp Driver

8. C15 12BK/RD Rear Window Defogger Relay Output

9. L34 18LG/BK exterior lighting

10. V20 18BK/YL Rear Washer Pump Motor Control

11. L50 18WT/TN Stop Lamp Switch Output

12. P2 18BK/WT Door Lock Relay Ouptut

13. P34 18PK/BK Door Unlock Relay Output

14. G4 18DB/WT Low Fuel Sense

15. K4 18BK/LB Sensor Ground

16. N/A

thanks again. I'm going to be on the lookout for a paper copy 96 fsm. this looking thru it on the computer is a pain. and my xj didnt have power locks so maybe the ground was for that. like you said hard to tell. guess ill find out after i mock up the pig trail, emptey the fuel tank and try cutting/rotating/welding the xj fuel pump/sender bracket. a long ways to go still but the info/research you did is greatley appreciated.