wiring restoration questions

all right, I have a full wiring harness to swap in to my MJ. I am swaping in a dash harness to fix the disintagrating fuse block, and I have a 90 engine harness to delete the C101 conector in my rig.

So, I want to clean all the wiring up before I put it in>

1 what do I use to clean the gunk and grime out of the connectors that is plastic safe?

2. how do you take the wires out of the relay sockets? I figure there is a tab I have to push or squeeze inside the sockets to release the wire,

from what end do I insert the tool?

3. I am going to replace all the cracked loom with new stuff, while dismantling the old stuff I came across 2 kinds of tape that the factory used to hold all the wires together, what is it? some looked like athletic tape, some other stuff looked like electrical tape but wasnt as sticky or stretchy (it just didn't look like like old electrical tape)

1. Liquid dish detergent

2.A small, thin piece of metal,It has to be flat so it will slide down into the hole. There are special tools for this but I took a small screw driver and ground it down to where it would fit. There is a small barb protruding from the pin that sticks into the connector. You want to push this barb in so the wire will pull out. Get a scrap connector and break it apart. Look at the pins. This will show you what needs to be done.

3. The black tape is used on long runs. To keep it from unraveling, run the end back under it's self and pull tight. Then glue it. I use liquid insulating tape. works great. The adhesive type is used where it is holding something for example a cable clamp.