Exhaust Manifold Replacement

OK, people. I'm tired of the exhaust leak and will attempt to change my header. I have a '92 long bed Comanche. What are the best steps (in order) to make it as painless as possible? Is it best to go from underneath? It appears that front driveshaft and upper control arm have to come off, along with pipe going to the cat. I can support the manifold. Any suggestions?

Yeah the lower bolts are a pain, I got mine out from the top contorting my arm in the process. You can do it without taking the upper control arm off, no wait, mine was lifted 6" at the time. You could try unbolting the sway bar links, then jacking it up supporting the frame and let the suspension completely decompress for more room.

When you say "lower bolts", do you mean the two on each end of the header? If so, yea, you are right on with that. I didn't think about jacking it up. That's a good idea. I only have a 2 1/2" lift. How difficult is it to change the header/intake gasket? I don't need to pull the intake too far away from the head, do I?

I'm talking about the bolts on the bottom of the exhaust manifold flange that hold both the intake and exhaust manifolds to the head. The bolts in the middle are the tricky ones. Remove your airbox and you should be able to sneak your arm under the intake to get at them with a ratchet.

How difficult is it to change the header/intake gasket? I don't need to pull the intake too far away from the head, do I?

I did my 88 just by pulling the manifold out a little bit, but it's much easier to just take the whole manifold off. And that way you can clean it really good since it's already out. Not hard at all, just takes some time.

Thanks, guys. I was able to install the new exhaust manifold without completely taking the intake manifold out. I had a neighbor hold the intake out of the way and I pushed the new exhaust through from underneath. The lower bolts were a pain, but patience prevailed.....I did have to remove the front driveshaft and some vacuum lines, but overall it was not that bad.

Thanks again.....Cajun