Spare Tire Removal

Help! Spare tire removal? I have a flat tire, and need to remove the spare so I can go have the flat fixed. I have removed the 12 inch bar that is above the spare, but there is a pin, above the wire and butterfly nut, that holds the spare up. I have pounded on it, with a set of socket extensions, and can hardly budge it. ( except for hitting my thumb) Something must be wrong. For, to have to do all this to remove the spare on the side of the road at night, in the dark. Fortunately it is in my garage. Please help. I have no other way to travel, and don't know of anyone with a compressor, to air the existing tire up. Any help on how to remove the spare would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh? well, I removed that tube. It's about 12 inches long, and I spent half the day yesterday, pulling the cotter pin out. I can't believe it could be this hard. But, I will try to reinstall the tube and turn it with my tire iron.

Thanks, So much, because this is soo difficult finding any information on it.

Oh? well, I removed that tube. It's about 12 inches long, and I spent half the day yesterday, pulling the cotter pin out. I can't believe it could be this hard. But, I will try to reinstall the tube and turn it with my tire iron.

Thanks, So much, because this is soo difficult finding any information on it.

Owners manual states you take the stock bottle jack handle, insert it into the hole between the bed and bumper, turn CCW and it lowers the tire down, I got mine off by cranking it CCW till it wouldn't move, then beat the snot out of the tire and assembly, tire fell down nice and fine.

Thanks!, I appreciate all the help. Someone had told me there was a bar, and if I removed it, that whole tire woudl fall down. So I assumed that was the tube above the spare, and I spent all day yesterday, removing the cotter pin, above the tire!@#$%^&*()! Anyway, I though the sleeve in the winch, above the cable, had to be knocked out, and pounded my thumb trying to know it out, to no avail. Thanks to all you good people, I was able to simply turn it, and drop the tire down. I knew it couldn't be this difficult, and I would never be able to do it in the dark on the side of the road sometimes, so I messaged this group. ANyway, a day and a half lost, but there was no where else to go on Christmas, and Christmas Eve... Thanks, So Much

seeee, some of us... were out wheeling when they discovered that their spare was suspended beneath the bed by some phantom wire that they couldn't budge... and had no owners manual (nor would have read it if they had it as they are male) and proceded to take the hack-saw to the wire and butcher the whole system...

:roll:

still need to replace that. still driving on that stupid ugly spare too.