chrysler 8.25

never came in an MJ

at least i've never heard of one.

the later ones that were 29 spline are considered decent... considering d44s are 30spline. itd be worth a lunchbox locker and gears maybe... probly not much more than that though. a truss would add to its' strength greatly.

earlier ones howevre were 27 spline and more like a d35 than a d44.

The 29-spline version was introduced either mid-year 1996 or with the 1997 models. It is fairly close to the Dana 44 in strength, but it is a c-clip axle. If you want to stuff one under an MJ, it's probably not a bad swap. Heck, the Ford 8.8 is a c-clip axle, too.

The Cryco 8.25 is a VERY good axle.

The housing is WAY strong, (3" tubes) bigger and beefer than even the D44's. But its got smaller brakes. (Same as D35)

Limited by 4:56 being tallest ratio avalible. Limited by the dismully small number of lockers avalible, and last but not least, its freaking expensive!!! The gear sets are at least 50% more, lockers at least 30% more.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 27spl, unless it was aquired with all that you neded CHEAP. Although it IS A UPGRADE to the D35.

A 29spline is a very good axle. One good thing is that you can swap over your existing brakes from the D35. Say if you recently had a brake job. I would try to find one in the ratio you need and if necessary throw in a lunchbox locker.

Merry Christmas,

CW