1988 tail light problems

comanche.gif

Okay so, I've got a few problems but I'll start with the tail light thing.

They haven't worked the right way since I got the truck for free a few months back but that's beside the point.

Once I took the tail lights apart it became apparent that some genius had duct taped the wires together at various points along the wires.

I replaced the sockets and there's still duct tape spots along 1 or 2 wires. However the brake lights DO work (light up when brakes are pressed) but overall they don't function properly. The tail lights (rear parking/rear driving lights) do not function when turned on, and when the turn signals get switched the dash lights and the signal lights all flash rapidly.....

Any ideas? I'm thinking of just re-running the wires for the rear of the truck. Thanks in advance. :wrench:

First thing is check and see if a trailer connector had been wired in. That's the biggest single source of trouble. Then inspect wiring from the tail lights to the light switch to the fuse panel looking for frayed, corroded wiring. Pull the plug where the TL connect to the main harness. Use a test light and see what your getting there. I've found the biggest majority of the trouble with TL is between that connector and the TL. And don't over look the fuse panel for CMC leaking on it.

about time i have chance to said it... check the ground too!

would this be the ground behind the drivers tailight? i know that wire is for the fuel pump also. I have all new bulbs in my 88. Running lights only on drivers side, turn signal, brake lights work fine on the passenger side.. I just been using hand signals :doh:

about time i have chance to said it... check the ground too!

would this be the ground behind the drivers tailight? i know that wire is for the fuel pump also. I have all new bulbs in my 88. Running lights only on drivers side, turn signal, brake lights work fine on the passenger side.. I just been using hand signals :doh:

Yes