ZJ steering box question

Just happen to have a ZJ steering gear in the garage . It's rebuilt with very low K . So I was going to drop it in the MJ since the steering feels like an old 60's truck .

Question is will the MJ's 2.5l PS pump drive the new box ok or not ?

The MJ pump has higher operating range than the ZJ. The release valve on the MJ is 1400psi. on the ZJ it is 1100-1200. Operating pressure for the MJ is 125psi. For the ZJ 150psi. If I was doing it I would go ahead and swap. Keep a eye on the box for leaks. If any develop then set the relief valve to a lower setting. Also in about another week or so I plan on doing the same swap. Let me (us) know how yours turned out, or just wait until I've finished. Or to answer your question, yes it should.

Thanks for the reply .

Ok , so I'll go ahead and swap them them . The valve your refering to is the one in the pressure line at the pump ? I ask because I just happen to have a ZJ valve kicking about here somewhere (ha , it was in my desk drawer) . I could do the swap right now :) .

Either way , I'll get the box in tonite or tomorrow morning . I'll post the results up here for you . Having 2 ZJ's has come in handy having a bunch of spare parts :) . Only lift parts I had to buy were rear leafs , rear shocks and 3 brake lines .

In for updates...my '88 steering box is a bit loose.

Couple more days , slight change of plans . I ordered some IRO brake lines (they came in yesturday) ordered 2 axle upper CA bushings but the listings only had lowers and I got the wrong ones , so , I won't get those till tomorrow morning now (bushings are way bad , really soft) Quite possibly a cause of the wandering .

Well , figured if I'm doing all that , I need to pull and install the hp30 from the 98 XJ . I'm gonna try to get that in the garage and off tonite . Clean it , turn the heat on overnite and paint it before leaving tomorrow morning . Come home , pressure wash the MJ(new nozzle is at the post office:)) the old box is pretty dirty from the yrs and I missed that area when I last trailered the MJ to the car wash . Then I can install the shiney new box , reconnect the V8 ZJ steering and also the hp30 . Should look pretty sweet when I got it all back together . Pics will follow in my build thread but I'll comment on the difference on here . My steering box is pretty beaten , there's little to no return to center and it kinda binds then suddenly over steers . Good chance it's been over adjusted on the over the top adjustment . Plus the output has alot of play coupled with 2 signifigant oil leaks :nuts: I may have to get some new lines also .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to try adjusting the steering box today , the original from the truck .

I started to release the steering shaft from the box , but the damn this would not slide no matter how hard I pried .

I removed the air box completely , still no luck with the shaft sliding/colapsing . To hell with it I though , I'm gonna do a quickie adjustment on the box .

Using a long and short screwdriver , I managed to get the lock nut off . Then , using a grinder wrench , I was able to tighten the nut/adjuster . I then marked it when tight , made another mark 9mm counterclockwise to that mark , and adjusted the nut back to that mark . Re-installed the lock nut and air box and took it for a spin .

Huge difference . Drove much straighter , had little to no play and felt as good as a worn box could , lol . I didn't do the over the top adjustment , doubt it would change much , may still try .

This took about 45 mins to 1 hour . Wasn't that hard , never did anything to spec , but the results were really good . Got to say I would recomend this to anyone with a jeep . I'm gonna do my 5.9 next . Perhaps keep that shiny new box on the bench , lol .

The adjusting nut was about 1/8-1/4 turn loose before getting tight , it was out quite a bit . Only advice is watch your marks when tigtening the lock nut on

I'd certainly try this before spending money on a new box .

My little write up is ok , but here's a TBS on the adjustment http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

I did the bearing preload

Is that the quick ratio box? Looking to sell it now that you don't need it? :brows:

Can't , it was a rebuilt I paid more for than my MJ , lol . I originally bought it for the lifted ZJ . After going so high I decided to get a waggy box (4bolt) for added strength . This one has maybe 4-5K .

But hey , if you do the adjustment , good chance you won't need one either . I just got back from a trip to the city and the MJ drove freakin great compared to before . I was really impressed , the steering was really tight , wandering to a minimum and on the way back , had about 5-700lbs of wet mulch on the back , again , it still drove great . The load gave me a little pull to the right but not major and easily handles . I also have about 20mph winds on the way home .

Yeah , I'm really impressed what a little adjusting can do for the jeeps steering . I'm definately doing the same on the 5.9 , and maybe my 07 Ram 3500 as well .