OBD 1 HO in 88 with 99 engine

I would like to keep my factory gray dash in my 88 comanche. i have a 99 engine that i built a few years ago that i would like to put into it. is it possible to use the OBD 1 harness out of a 92 or so, since they have the same dash and just use the wiring harness in my 88 with the 99 engine? Ive seen this done before it seems, just would like some advice.

If you plan on using the wiring harness from a '92, you will need the sensors for the engine as well as the ECU from the '92. As long as you swap the intake and all the sensors over, the ECU will be happy. If you plan on doing that, you will also have to swap over the speedo cluster from the '92 as the '92 has an electronic speedometer while the '88 is run by a cable.

Why change anything inside the cab?

Jeep/Mopar used to sell an MPFI conversion for the old carbureted 4.2L Wrangler. The conversion was essentially the engine room harness from a 4.0L Wrangler, with an adapter to mount the CPS on the front of the engine rather than the bell housing. Why not just use the engine room portion of the harness and leave the cab wiring intact?