Wrangler AX-15

I just found a lower mile AX-15 out of a 98 TJ. What would I have to do to it to make it work in a 87 MJ with a pukey? Would my NP231 hanging on the pukey bolt up to 98 TJ AX-15? Clocking going to be a problem or easy fix? Looking for a education even tho its been pounded to death but I could not find a question like mine..

Also what would be a good clutch upgrade? This Jeep will be running at least 35s with a 4:1 in the 231..

I'm not sure on every single part but I can start off the list.

You will need a new cross member (AX15 hangs down about an inch farther than all the other transmissions), new clutch and flywheel, new slave (believe the Wrangler AX-15 is external slave?), and most likely a new clutch line.

Your transfer case will not fit as the BA-10/5 is a 21 spline output as all AX15's are 23 spline outputs. You will need an AX15 mated transfer case or '91 or newer mated transfer case. If you are going with the 4:1 kit, now might be a good time to get it and you can use your transfer case as it comes with new planetaries in the front with a 23 spline input.

As for the clocking, I've heard a few mixed things. Some have gotten it to work without any issues while others have had to massage the floor a little to clear. At worst, you will need to tap a small portion of the floor up a little for clearances.

I will probably fab my own X-member, forgot to ad that in the original post.

Thank you for the very imformative post! I think I'm going to jump on that low mile AX-15 now!

Suppose I will need a different bell housing too.. Source one from any MJ/XJ ax-15 equipped rig I suppose.

Was kinda assuming that the bell housing was coming with it...Try finding one from a '94 or newer for the external slave. If all else fails, I have an internal slave one kicking around that you can have for shipping. I pulled it off the '92 AX15 I had to swap on (with an adapter) the Chevy bell housing for the Chevy 350 swap.

Its out of a 98 TJ.. Trans was pulled and replaced on a wrong diagnosed drivetrain problem. The shop ate the bill for the new trans sounds like and they have had this one laying around. So I guess I'm just assuming that it doesnt have the bell housing. That shouldnt be too much of a problem.