My 1990 (and some pics of the old '87)

This engine was horribly neglected for most of it's life. Based on the rust in the cylinder walls I think she was parked for an extended period of time before being resurrected (I bought her with electrical problems). It's amazing that I got 20K out of this engine.

I didn't see anything in the cylinder walls that explains piston #1:

Check out the rust:

The ridge was pretty bad as well:

Good and bad rod end caps side by side:

My old 4.0 off to it's new life as a coffee table!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like my MJ is turning into the never ending project. Reman engine #1 is defective. At 282 miles the cam bearings started to self-destruct.

I pulled reman engine #1 back out and swapped it for reman engine #2. I did, however, get the store to deliver the new engine to my house (no MJ, no way to pick it up)....

I think Maura just wants a 98+ swap done in her! :yes:

She probably does. I thought she'd be happy with a new engine, trans conversion to external slave, and perhaps a new hood...

It was an ATK engine. They supply reman engines to all the chains (I confirmed Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Carquest, & NAPA) so the only way around them is Jasper or to rebuild a core locally. The parts store is working with me thus far...they agreed to pick up 1/2 the cost of the gaskets, etc that I need to do this project again. After engine #2 is in and runs I'll have to go after ATK for labor.

• 10 months later...

Unfortunately no.  Even a year later the scab that was that POS ATK engine still hurts.  If I had to do it again I'd find a good jy motor or have it rebuilt locally.  Hopefully engine #2 held up better.  Biotex owns Maura now so perhaps he can chime in with a health/mileage update.