WTB- WA 91-92 SWB 4.0 sending unit

cody4359

• 2 weeks later...

New fuel pump sending units are no longer available for our Comanche. You may find ones on Ebay that say they are for a Comanche 18 Gal tank, they are not correct. They are for a Cherokee only!

The Comanche SWB 18 Gal tank has a sending unit that points to the left. The Cherekees point to the right.

You can get a new fuel pump and it will work on the Comanche sending unit.

If your sending unit and fuel tank is rusted and not rusted all the way through. Get yourself some rust inhibitor and rust encapsulator from Eastwood. Wirebrush the rust and paint the rust, it will stop the rust in it's tracks. make sure you wirebrush the ground connection good on the sending unit, be careful not to break the connection, just clean it up. When painting the fuel tank after rust encapulating it, you should paint it with the Eastwood silver tank paint.

Your sending unit can be salvaged by cleaning the varable resistor with electrical cleaner and rubbing a pencil eraser over the contacts to clean them.

To get your gas guage to read properly, like to show full when your tank is full. Just loosen the screw that is holding the plastic holder that is conected to the float. Move the plastic holder forward a little and tighten up the screw. This will lower the float and will now show full when your tank is full. Before installing the sending unit back into the tank, connect the sending unit wire connection back up to the truck and move the float by hand, you can then look at the gas guage to see that is it working properly. This will save you from having to remove it again to make any adjustments.

I hope this helps you, I will see if I can find some pics !

Here is a pic of my 18 Gal tank after painting with the eastwood rust converter and then rust encapsulator and finishing with the silver tank pant. I had surface rust on the top of tank and around filler tubes. Will never rust again!

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment.html

if your tank is badly rusted It's cheaper to just get a new tank, they are still available.

Here is a pic of the inside of the tank just for reference. For the Comanche fans that change their fuel pump without dropping the tank, this will give you an idea of where the fuel pump sits. The rubber gromet on the sending unit sits in the holder in the pan.

my fuel pump/ sender are fine, but i have an 89 mj 4 banger that i put a 96 4.0 in with the wiring harness, and from what ive gathered i can reverse the polarity to make it read the right direction, but the points values or sumthing are different so it won't be accurate. thats why i want a 91-92 sender becasue they had the HO.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...