How to Evaulate a JY Transfer Case

Ok, I've located candidate 242's. Mileage cannot be known, gauges are gone.

Cannot know full condition before pulling, but what to check before and after pulling?

Here's what comes to mind:

1) condition of fluid: quantity, color, odor, contamination, etc. (before pulling)

2) no evidence of metal particles in fluid (before pulling)

3) absence of lateral freeplay of input and output shafts

4) exercise shifter and verify function at each position (not sure how to check full time 4wd)

What else to check? Should I plan to open it up (and why), or just install and pray?

Should I be concerned about chain stretch?

While in 4Full, Hold one shaft so it doesn't move. Now rotate the other one. It shouldn't move. You should feel it trying to turn the one your holding. Check for play by rocking it back and forth. there will be a little but not sloppy. Turn loose the first shaft. Now holding one shaft just tight enough to feel it go thru all the gears, 2H,4H,4pt,4Full, and turn the other shaft. Your'e feeling for smoothness of gear movement. and listening for any noise.

While in 4Full, Hold one shaft so it doesn't move. Now rotate the other one. It shouldn't move. You should feel it trying to turn the one your holding. Check for play by rocking it back and forth. there will be a little but not sloppy. Turn loose the first shaft. Now holding one shaft just tight enough to feel it go thru all the gears, 2H,4H,4pt,4Full, and turn the other shaft. Your'e feeling for smoothness of gear movement. and listening for any noise.

4wd PART time.

The Full time option allows slip between the front and rear axles.