Powertrain swaps , 91 into 88

I bought an 88 MJ about a month ago . Just a 2WD 4 banger , but dang , the body is really good on it . Straight and very little rust . I got it for $300 cause the 2.5 took a dump . It will roll but the bearings sound like they are binding up , lol . Even the tailgate is straight and functional . :wrench:

My plans bounced around from a 350 conversion to the 4WD conversion . The latter prevailed .

Yesturday I dragged home a 91 4.0 5 spd 231 D30/D44 Eliminator . The body is rougher to say the least . The cab will need new rockers , the floor seems solid though , and the rest I can bolt on from the 88 . I want to convert everything into the 88 , but I don't think I want to do all that work :nuts: . The 91 also has the A/C , further adding to the work . The engine has 50K , the clutch about 40K . Forward works great , reverse , CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK . Sounds like I need to replace the gearbox too .

For now , build the 91 keep the 88 stuffed away in the back . I got pics , but not enough posts . I'll add them to my photbucket and post the link later .

Has anyone built homemade sliders to replace the rockers ?

The clunk in reverse , broken gear ?

3:07's and 32's , how lazy will it be w/o a regear ? I have 40 miles of hwy before the city , not a commuter vehicle , but , it will see mostly hwy , and off-road , there's always low range .

Pretty sure I have more questions , but , that will be a start . I did search :typing: but if not worded exact , it's hard to get answers . :hateputers:

I am a jeep guy , just a different breed . I own a 95 Orvis 5.2l ZJ on long arms , 7" . Also a 98 5.9l ZJ with alot of bolt on's , headers , perf PCM , MSD ignition etc etc . Both very nice ltd editions , but , I'd like to lift a jeep truck , thus the 2 I have sitting in the drive comanche.gif

Build the 91 , 88 gets stored for a future build . :dunno:

No , I'm not a fan of scrapping a rare vehicle , in this case , it works to my advantage . For the 88 , the new front clip and doors will come from a 97/98 donor , also , it's not remaining a 2wd so stripping it means easy access to really gut it out and get prepped for the future build . Swapping the powertrains means complete wiring harnesses too (cept the rear harness) Having a stripped shell will certainly be just a step I would have to take anyways . My intentions are to build the 88 the right way . The 91 will get a quick build , and very used .

Therefore , I have no reservations taking parts from the 88 to use on the 91 . I'm just recycling what will be replaced anyways . The box is "OK" on the 91 but will need work , a few dings and rust on one quarter , again , it can be restored for the 88 . For now , the 88's box goes on the 91 too .