can I use a renix tank with my 91 6cyl

The switch is at the bottom of the steering column.. There are various ways to test the circuit. Not knowing what you have in the way of test equipment I an going to assume you have very little. Remove the gas line from the rail. get a coffee can, or suitable container, to catch the gas in. Needless to say NO SMOKING. Now run a wire from the battery pos terminal to the ballast resistor. is gas coming out? If yes then the pump is good. If not then run the wire to the other post on the resistor. If there is now gas flow then the pump is good and the resistor is bad. The resistor is out of the circuit when the ign key is in START position. Remove the fuel pump relay. Insert the hot wire in the load side of the relay socket. There should be fuel flow. Replace the relay. Ign sw on. there should be fuel flow. If not then switch the fuel pump relay with one from either side of it. Now if you have flow then the relay is bad. If there is still no flow then the switch is bad, or just mis adjusted. And don't over look the fuse s. Th e relay may be clicking but the contacts are bad. If the relay is clicking then the switch is good.

Sounds to me like either the resistor or the pump.