2000 XJ power train in my MJ

its obvious but here's the filler neck

22 gallon 91-96 dodge dakota tank

here it is underneath the truck, it's a close fit but i don't think it will ever hit the axle (don't think its close enough) and not as close to the driveshaft as the stock tank was

battery went dead on digital cam as soon as i find the charger ill get some more if you want them

I did finish the install and it runs like its supposed to, drove it around the property for a few minutes to kinda test it out

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I had a day off today so i drove the truck out to the local salvage yard (started out with about 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank) to pick up a ax15 i scored pretty cheap ($200.00 jamminz.gif ), anyways i got that done and headed to orielly's to pick up a abs sensor for a pt cruiser and after i left there the truck died about 4 times on the way home, i am going to assume that the culprit is the pump not reaching the bottom of the tank and picking up any gas cause it would start back up just fine when i sat still...... so more modifying :doh: I have an idea on how to mod the pump to make it reach the bottom of the tank, if it works out ill post it. I did bend the float arm to make it read about as accurate as i could and it seems to be right, it showed a 1/4 of a tank when i started, 5.5 gallons in 22 gallon tank is right at a 1/4

I am curious on how tall the 15 gallon tank is from the bottom of the tank to the lip that the pump module sits on, i wonder if the 22 is taller or not

• 2 months later...

I have been working on my house along with my job quite a bit so I havent had time to get on here in a while. anyways since I put the dakota tank in my truck ive had one problem that I can't figure out yet, it works great, I am very happy with the outcome EXCEPT... theres always an exception. when i go to start the truck after it has been off for a few minutes or any amount of time I have to rebuild my fuel pressure because it won't start on the first or sometimes second try. I'm using the same pump i was in the other tank so i don't know what the heck the problem is. its driving me nuts. most of the time after it finally gets started it stutters until it gets enough gas in the line then it runs like a striped a$$ ape....

I have been working on my house along with my job quite a bit so I havent had time to get on here in a while. anyways since I put the dakota tank in my truck ive had one problem that I can't figure out yet, it works great, I am very happy with the outcome EXCEPT... theres always an exception. when i go to start the truck after it has been off for a few minutes or any amount of time I have to rebuild my fuel pressure because it won't start on the first or sometimes second try. I'm using the same pump i was in the other tank so i don't know what the heck the problem is. its driving me nuts. most of the time after it finally gets started it stutters until it gets enough gas in the line then it runs like a striped a$$ ape....

I haven't had any of those issues, I also have a brand new fuel pump and regulator. sounds like your regulator may be going to to the bad

I have another pump assembly that i can put in, the brickwork is finally finished on our house so i might get a chance to pull it in the garage this weekend and try it

congratulations on your house and good luck with the fuel pressure issue

• 2 months later...

dude that thing is sick, love it. I'm still looking for a 15 gal dakota tank for mine, the 22 gal still is giving me fits :mad: plus when i put gas in it the tank is so dang long its almost like i didnt put any gas in it at all..

dude that thing is sick, love it. I'm still looking for a 15 gal dakota tank for mine, the 22 gal still is giving me fits :mad: plus when i put gas in it the tank is so dang long its almost like i didnt put any gas in it at all..

Thanks for the compliment, it runs great. One I get the a/c charged. I will install the cruise control...overall it performs awesome!

Good luck with finding that 15 gallon tank

did you ever measure the height of your 15 gallon tank? the 22 is 13 1/4 to the top of the lip where the pump mounts which is about 3 1/2 inches taller than the pump when compressed.

No but I can if it would help ya

if its no trouble for you, ive got my truck in the garage right now. I'm gonna switch out the pump with a different one and see if that changes anything but knowing the size of the 15 gal would tell me how much different the two tanks are

wow thats taller than the 22 gallon tank, I would have to modify the pump housing more than I did already..

Your measurement was to the top of the lip where the fuel pump lid screws on. My measurement was from the floor to the tallest point on the tank, which are two little humps that stick up. Take a look at the pic:

If I measured from the floor to the lip, it would probably be around 12 1/2". I can take that measurement when I'm back down at my shop.

are you sure thats a 15 gallon tank, it almost looks the same size as my 22 gallon

Actually, I'm not. I know the size of the tank is posted on the rear. I'll take a look when I'm down at my shop next. I very well could have the 22 gallon tank. It was delivered to my house by a local yard and they have a pretty clear-cut return policy - "You buy it, it's yours." Either way, I gotta make it fit :D

Actually, I'm not. I know the size of the tank is posted on the rear. I'll take a look when I'm down at my shop next. I very well could have the 22 gallon tank. It was delivered to my house by a local yard and they have a pretty clear-cut return policy - "You buy it, it's yours." Either way, I gotta make it fit :D

That looks just like the 22g tank I picked up locally. I have always assumed the 15g variety would be missing the extra lumps from the back and top of the tank.

the 22 gallon tank will work except the factory jeep fuel pump assembly is not tall enough to reach the bottom of the tank, I had to modify mine to make it taller. I am still having a problem getting fuel at startup, i even went as far as changing the pump and regulator last weekend and it doesnt seem like it helped any.

the 22 gallon tank will work except the factory jeep fuel pump assembly is not tall enough to reach the bottom of the tank, I had to modify mine to make it taller. I am still having a problem getting fuel at startup, i even went as far as changing the pump and regulator last weekend and it doesnt seem like it helped any.

Any reason why you didn't just use the 22 gallon Dakota fuel pump assembly? You would have to make a pigtail wiring harness to go from the Dakota plug to the XJ plug, but other than that, it should be the same. According to my research, the fuel pressures for the 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L engines in the Dodge Dakotas use the same fuel line pressure at the 4.0L in the 97+ XJs. The fuel pressure regulator for a ZJ Grand Cherokee is the same for all of the engines - 4.0L/5.2L/5.9L (and the 5.2L and 5.9L are the exact same engines used in the Dakota).

Also, I was told by a guy who has done a similar swap that the fuel level indicator on the Dakota fuel pump assembly should read correctly on the XJ instrument cluster. Chrysler used the same CCD Bus network on all of their vehicles during this time and I think they kept the resistances of the fuel level senders relatively the same. I plan on verifying this once I have the tanks on my XJ and ZJ dropped. Both of them have 3/4 tank of fuel left in them, though....