Vent Cap???

Eagle

Y'all know I'm older than dirt. Among the other attributes of thks condition, I don't like plastic gas cans ... and without spending a year's salary for one of the new, explosion-proof steel cans, that's all you can buy these days. Awhile back, I found a 5-gallon steel gas can in the trash at the local transfer station. To my surprise, the bottom was solid, so I grabbed it. The fill spout has no gasket, but I can make a gasket. The biggest problem is that the little yellow vent cap is completely gone.

Years ago, any True Value hardware store had kits that included a new pour spout and a new vent. But -- since they don't sell the cans anymore, they also don't sell the parts. So I have to improvise.

Looks like the vent on the plastic oil drain pans is the same thing. If all else failts, I'll drop $10 at Auto Zone for a new drain pan, and cannibalize my old one for the vent. Before I do that, though -- if any of you has an old oil drain pan (or anything similar, like a gas or kerosene can with the bottom rotted out) that isn't being used but hasn'e yet been discarded ... I'd really appreciate getting the vent fitting.

It's the little yellow thingie on this oil drain pan, next to the carry handle, opposite the pour spout:

TIA

I use a cork. Doesn't vent but if i need a vent i remove the cork. When I first started reading your post i thought you were going to rant about them asinine pour spouts they're putting on gas cans now. Takes a half an hour to empty 5 gal of gas. If you can figure out how to operate the d*mn thing.

When I first started reading your post i thought you were going to rant about them asinine pour spouts they're putting on gas cans now. Takes a half an hour to empty 5 gal of gas. If you can figure out how to operate the d*mn thing.

That's why I like my old favorites.