starter probleme

well i was testing the truck today and found out that the starter gets engage when I put the key to electric

and it stays on once the truck is started

any ideas on what can cause that :dunno:

ignition switch is new

wire to the starter is new

because i don't wanna put a new starter and just burn it cause its doing the same thing

edit: its for a cherokee 1990 4.0L

The ignition switch is on drivers side of the steering column down near the firewall and actuated by a rod from the key lock on the passenger side just behind the steering wheel . If you replaced the key switch it's very easy to jar the cog-gear (clocked wrong) out of sync with the toothed track that pulls the rod to the "ignition switch " on the lower column. WHEW.....That switch (below ) can be adjusted by loosening 2 small bolts and moving it up/down slightly to get your key switch back in sync . Or pull the switch and re-align the gear-cog and track . Try a search here for illustrated tear downs in the Tech section :thumbsup:

Take the switch back out click it all the way towards the wheel to the ACC position. Then install it hold the key all the way back and tighten the bolt and nut holding the switch down. This ensures you have it in the correct position.

sounds like the clip holding the bendix from smacking the nose of the starter has broke causing the bendix to go too deep into the flywheel jamming into the flywheel

pull the starter and there should be a round "hat" with a round wire clip inside it holding it into a groove in the starter armature.

the clip look fine

I took everything apart and actuated the bendix manualy

everything move normaly and nothing is broken

it was if the starter is not shutting off once the truck is started

electricaly speaking

the starter take the power from the battery but is activated trough the relay

I will check the relay today and replace it with a new one