T-19 Transmission conversion and rebuild

I'm putting a Nissan SD-33T from a Scout in my Comanche. The transmission that was in the Scout is a Borg Warner T-19 four speed. It is actually a one ton Ford transmission. I am using the NP231 from the Comanche with a Box4Rocks kit to a Dana 300 that I got from a junkyard CJ-7. To mate the NP231 to the T-19 I needed to change the mainshaft, for this conversion I bought a kit from Novak Adapters.

This is the Scout that I bought just to get the diesel engine. The frame from the doors back was gone. The green paint doesn't look too bad but you could just about push your fingers through any panel in just about any place you wanted.

Here is the drivetrain after we pulled it out.

I sprayed the engine down with degreaser and hosed it off acouple of times to clean it up as best as I could before giving it a good coat of blue engine paint

Now a year and a half later I finally have everything I need to rebuild the transmission and change the main shaft for the Box4Rocks kit.

The first thing I did was to take the bell housing off and then take the top load out, which was fairly simple. There is four nuts on the studs from the tranny housing that hold the bell housing and then six bolts on top that hold the top load shifting mechanism. To take the stick off first just push down on the little round cover and screw it off, just watch for the spring and the little alignment pin.

Novaks instructions for the rebuild are detailed but leave a little to be desired on the pictures and references. They give you an exploded view of the transmission but I think it is a picture of a T-18 and it is an early version. There is enough different in the T-19 that it can be confusing if your not careful. As always the very best thing to do is to work in an area that is large enough that you can lay everything out as you go in the order that you take it apart so that nothing is in question.

Anyway when you take the six bolts out of the top load one should have a nameplate or tag attached to it. I don't ever throw these away. The numbers on it should be traceable for parts or to find out where it came from. They can also tell you what gear ratios you might have. With these older transmissions there were a lot or variations, so any info you have will help, especially when ordering conversion or rebuild kits.

Now take the four bolts out of the bearing retainer on the front of the transmission, slide it off the input shaft and remove the small snap ring off from the input shaft.

Next take the large snap ring off from the input shaft bearing. This is still on the outside of the transmission, it keeps the bearing from sliding further into the gear box. Some instructions say that this bearing needs to be pressed out, all I did was use two pry bars on each side in the lip where the snap ring goes, and the bearing slid right out of the tranny housing very easily. Support the input shaft and interior gears, because it will fall once the bearing is removed.

The next step is on the back of the transmission. Because this came out of a Scout, International had their own version of the Dana 300, with the goofy "Texas Style" bolt pattern. And the output shaft of the transmission had a gear on it that went into and directly drove the transfercase.

• 1 month later...