heater door cable questions

oh man, I went to swap out the heater core, broke the air box, ended up replacing that, the evaporator, blower motor, and core! Anyway, got the assembly back in, now having trouble with the cable.

It got slightly kinked, and was moving with a lot of effort, and then it came disconnected from the back of the HVAC controls.

2 questions: how does the cable connect to the back of the HVAC controls? Does it just loop over the hook, and that's it? Seems likely to pop back off again.

2nd question: at the other end of the cable, how does the clip go on the cable tightly? I can't get it tight enough, the cable is sliding through it. Do I need to crimp it tighter? Do I need a new pinch nut(?) that hold the clip to the heater door lever? Do I just need a new clip, after taking it on and off a few times?

Thanks!

Tom

:headpop:

1) Yeah, the loop on the control end just hooks over the catch in the control. there is a small black plastic clip that pushes into a receiver on the control a little bit further down the cable. It is square in shape and will snap in with an audible click.

2) Yeah, it has to be tight. Unfortunately this is one of the two most fragile parts of the HVAC system ( the other part being the plastic receiver that the cable snaps into right beside that fitting) . If you pinch it too hard it will break at the bend, but if it is too loose the cable just slips through it. Since I broke a few, I now leave the blend door cable attached at that fitting (and just deal with it flopping around) rather then take the chance and break it.

I have a couple of extra cables if yours is too kinked. You can have one for free if you pay for the ride.

Hey Jake-

Thanks. I'll try to crimp the cable clip a little today and see what happens. If I break it, I'll either have to find another one, or pay you for your whole cable (with the clip still attached, I assume). The funny thing about getting the loop around the hot/cold lever control is that the cable wants to turn vertical as you slide it back and forth -- leading to a possible slip-off. Once I get it secured at the other end, I guess this won't be a problem any longer. What a PITA!

Thanks-

Tom

Hey Jake-

Thanks. I'll try to crimp the cable clip a little today and see what happens. If I break it, I'll either have to find another one, or pay you for your whole cable (with the clip still attached, I assume). The funny thing about getting the loop around the hot/cold lever control is that the cable wants to turn vertical as you slide it back and forth -- leading to a possible slip-off. Once I get it secured at the other end, I guess this won't be a problem any longer. What a PITA!

Thanks-

Tom

I posted before realizing what I'd said yesterday - (must have been 'cause I had the day off). To mail you a cable would be about .50....so I'd just send it to ya and call it a day....