Funky start-up issue.

I have a 1992, and It's pretty wierd when starting. When I start it at first, it chugs for awhile and continues to as it turns over. Then it instantly dies. I start it a 2nd time, it starts up quicker with less chugging, and runs for a bit longer but then proceeds to die. On the third start up, it starts just fine. Sometimes it will start to sputter, but then I suppose some kind of cold start kicks in and gives it a little throttle. Once it's warm, it starts up and idles just fine. I tested the fuel pressure, did a leak down test, changed the TPS, and fuel filter. I'm pretty stumped, has anyone had the same issue? or any ideas to what it could be? I installed a remote start on it, but rarely use it due to this issue. Any info would be great! Thanks.

The one in the thermostat housing? The one on the rear driver's side of the head I just recently replaced because my gauge was reading wrong. If you don't mind me asking, how do you figure? I would never have thought of that causing the problem.

there is one for the gauge and one for the ecu to mix the air/fuel mixture, I would go look at mine but my GF is driving it right now, she drives it when she can even though she has a fully loaded 2006 tacoma.

My manual is in the truck so I can't even look at the wiring schematics

I just checked ALLDATA, the one for the computer is in fact up front by the thermostat housing for the HO engines. I'm gonna run and get one now, it's worth a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the info, I would have never thought of that. Makes a ton of sense now.

Thanks guys, yeah I'm aware it's in the thermostat housing. I replaced it yesterday with no improvement still. The connector was a little fudged up from the previous owner so I'm gonna try to get a replacement and splice it in. I will also check the MAP and see if I can find anything you mentioned. Again, the input in much appreciated guys. :thumbsup:

I disconnected the connector from the MAP sensor, and reconnected it. Started it, and it showed improvement by idling longer than normal. Still proceeds to die though. I checked vacuum, I've got plenty. The clip on the connector is also broken from the previous owner, but it seems to hold pretty well. When I got the truck, it was chock full of vacuum leaks. I capped every one I found until I can really tear into it and trace everything. Back to the sensor though, does it sound like it needs to be replaced? I cleaned up the connection the best I could, and it showed slight improvement. Still continues to do what I said earlier though.