Wiring Harness help 88 MJ

Hello Comanche Clubbers! I want to thank everyone that posts questions, and the people who answer those questions. I have an 88 MJ that was a manual with a I6, now it has the drivetrain out of a 92 xj (allegedly) 4.0, AT, Transfer case and dash cluster. I bought it after the swap. The wiring harness is a mess and alot of things don't work or don't work correctly. Things that don't work: speedo, tach, fuel gauge stuck beyond full, low fuel light works though. Things that don't work correctly: Heater air flow, it only works on windshield defrost mode, windshield wipers only work on fast mode, there is a jumper wire from fuse block to wires for wiper.

Also there is a cluster of wires coming through the firewall to the right and just above gas pedal, the whole cluster of wires is cut. Some of the wires are hot! I removed the battery cables when I found that. My question is should I find a wiring harness from a 92 MJ or try and fix/modify what I have? Thanks in advance.

The 92 is an HO and the 88 was/is a renix. Did the Po also swap the engine and ALL wiring from the 92? If not, that is why the cluster doesnt work and why the fuel gauge is stuck at full.

There is a vacuum ball in the front bumper, if the vacuum line for that is broken you will only get heat out the defrost as that is the default.

Jim, the po told me the engine, wiring harness, cluster, tranny, and t case came out of the 92 xj, he was stationed overseas during the swap. I will check that vacuum ball, thank you.