Fuel sending unit stuck in the tank????

So I have an 88 Mj short bed that i am in the middle of converting over to 4x4 jamminz.gif . It has a 4.0 aw4 and a 231 in it now. My problem just started recently when I droped my my off at the paint shop to get repainted and i left it over there for about three months while i left to San Diego Ca for work. I just recently picked up the mj and she wouldent start. So we pushed her on to the trailor and off we went. After i got her home i did get it to start but it seems like it was only firing on three cylinders. It has a new cpt,tps and so on and ive been through most of the wiring allready. I don't curently have a preasure tester but it wasent spiting any fuel out of the valve on the rail so i belive i have it pined down to the pump :eek: . I had picked up a spare sending unit out of an 89 mj at a junk yard a while back and since my fuel gauge never worked before i decided i would change it out. Becides i had replaced the oump on the jy sending unit a while back in preporation for the install. Today I got under the truck to day to get the new sending unit. I got the old unit out and now i see why the guage never worked the sending unit was non exzistant :???:. So out with the old and in with the new right? well it wasent that easy, I placed the pump in to the tank and no matter how i tried to get it in to place it just would not get in to place to install the lock ring :dunno:. After comparing it to the other sending unit i have concluded that it is the identical sending unit. It seems that there is something at the bottom of the tank just in the spot that the pump needs to be that is holding it out just a bit. After fooling with it for what seems to be ALL Day i have sucessfully goten the sending stuck in the tank WTF no matter how i wiggle it i can get it out from under the tabs for the lock ring. Its stuck and theres no way to get the lock ring in the right way.... Any one else ever have this problem?I'm a little bit frustrated so ill go back at it tomorow. here's a pic of the truck

There should be a rubber grommet on the bottom of the sending unit that fits in a bracket on the bottom of the tank. Maybe the grommet off the old one stayed in there? The grommet has a bevelled bottom side to make it easier to hit the hole. If the grommet is stuck in the tank it is almost impossible to get the sending unit to hit the hole in it.

Someone with skinny arms should be able to reach into the tank to get the grommet out, but if the tank is still installed in the truck it will be almost impossible to get to it.

so I finaly droped the tank and got the pump out... you were right when you said that the strainer might be sill be stuck in the tank and after dousing my hand in gas i have gotten it out of the tank and the fuel pump back in the tank properly but now I'm having a diffrent problem... my pump isint turning on... Does any one know how many volts i am supost to be geting at the fuel pump plug? I tested it but it seems that i am geting 6 1/2 volts to the pump. I don't feel like this this is what I'm supost to be getting :???: at the plug... some one chime in here and let me know... on a nother note i did get the door open. jamminz.gif