1987 4.0 4x4 comanche CLUTCH PROBLEMS?

so I'm in the process of buying this 1987 comanche 4.0 with the ax5 i believe and the guy says the clutch needs a rebuild. he says it doesnt engage at all. he says he is pretty sure it is the master/slave but he isnt sure and doesnt wanna say one thing and have it be something else. he also mentioned how there in a internal slave on that transmission.

i was just wondering if any of you have any idea what it could be. if its the transmission or the clutch? please someone help so i can start figureing out how to fix this.

are there any questions u guys need asked to help me? let me know!!!!!!!!!

doesn't "engage"? As in, slipping and not grabbing? Or grabbing and won't let go? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure a bad master/slave means you have trouble disengaging the clutch. Unless I've always had the engage vs. disengage thing backwards.

If its an 87 with the 4.0, my bet is the trans is blown. An AX5 never came behind a 4.0. Stock it was the less-than-stellar BA10/5. Unless an AX15 was put in as an afterthought.

Is there any fluid leaking from the bell housing? Can you get it in gear without it running, and start the truck in 1st?

Rob L.

I'm waiting for this guy reply so i can let you know the answer to those questions. i was wondering if i do upgrade to a ax15 is it pretty much a bolt on replacement or will i need a new transfer case and what kind? also what transfer case do i have now?

if you do have a BA10 (likely) you will have an np231 21spline transfer case (21 is the count of spline on the input to the case)

to swap to an AX15 you would need the transmission (preferably the 94+ external slave transmission but not mandatory) and a 23 spline np231, also the 4x4 shifter linkage and transmission mount plate/mount.

the internal slave setup works but the external setup feels better through the pedal and is easier to service.

if you do have a BA10 (likely) you will have an np231 21spline transfer case (21 is the count of spline on the input to the case)

to swap to an AX15 you would need the transmission (preferably the 94+ external slave transmission but not mandatory) and a 23 spline np231, also the 4x4 shifter linkage and transmission mount plate/mount.

the internal slave setup works but the external setup feels better through the pedal and is easier to service.

So how much u think that would run me? And why would I need new 4x4 linkage?