D30 axle swap

I have two D30 front differentials. One disco thats in my 88 MJ and one non disco in a 96 ZJ. Can I swap out the two pc axle in my 88 with the one pc axle from the 96?

Back up ..... would there be any advantage in swapping a two pc disco axle with a one pc non disco axle if you've already eliminated the disco and have the two pc axle locked full time?

2 things:

1) Yes you can put a 1 piece shaft in and block off the flange on the axle. The control arm mounts on the disco axles are actually stronger. But you will need an inner seal installed to do so....I know there are right ups out there...it is an $8 NAPA part, but I don't have the part number.

2) Even though you locked it, it is still a week point. A one piece shaft is inherently stronger.

The axles HAVE to have the same gearing if you are going to SWAP. but not to just replace the shaft. Also, the ZJ shaft may have CV joints which are no good for wheeling.

Hope that helps.

2 things:

1) Yes you can put a 1 piece shaft in and block off the flange on the axle. The control arm mounts on the disco axles are actually stronger. But you will need an inner seal installed to do so....I know there are right ups out there...it is an $8 NAPA part, but I don't have the part number.

2) Even though you locked it, it is still a week point. A one piece shaft is inherently stronger.

The axles HAVE to have the same gearing if you are going to SWAP. but not to just replace the shaft. Also, the ZJ shaft may have CV joints which are no good for wheeling.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Thank you.

OK, so I'll need to install an inner seal in which means removing the carrier. No prob.

Question .... will my disco axle tube have an inner seal seat machined into to? Reason I ask is because if it was designed/intended to use an outer seal, why would it be machined for an inner as well?

No CV joints on the 96 ZJ axle however it does have something my 88 axles don't. That being the ABS ring or collar sticking inward from the hub. I assume it won't interfere.

The 96 axle is like the one on top in this pic.

The ABS tone ring is pressed on, and can be removed with a couple of swift hits of a hammer. Depending on unit bearing, it may need to be removed, or it may be fine to leave it in place.

The housing is not machined for an oil seal, which is why a stock one won't fit. NOS (Napa Oil Seal) 11771 will fit.

The ABS tone ring is pressed on, and can be removed with a couple of swift hits of a hammer. Depending on unit bearing, it may need to be removed, or it may be fine to leave it in place.

The housing is not machined for an oil seal, which is why a stock one won't fit. NOS (Napa Oil Seal) 11771 will fit.

Thanks Marcel, I knew you had the number....