Getting Ready for Winter... Garage Heater

Carl'sMJ

Installed it a few weeks ago and figured I'd share... It's a Fahrenheat 5000 watt ceiling mounted electric heater. It's rated for 17,065 BTU output and runs on 240V. I bought it from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

I was fortunate to already have a 240V circuit and breaker panel in the garage which made installation a bit easier.

I've only used it a couple times since I put it in and it worked well, but the weather wasn't that cold. I'm curious to see how well it heats once the middle of Michigan winter hits. I think it should do well enough to take the edge off anyway. My garage is about 20' x 30' and is completely insulated.

Yeah, I was curious about it too. I think as long as don't expect the thing heat beyond its intended means and set the thermostat at a reasonable temp I should be OK.

I opted for electric over natural gas for a couple reasons. Primarily because I already had the 240V circuit and breaker panel in the garage, so convenience and ease of installation right off the bat. Plus, if I don't have to work with gas I'll avoid it. The electric set-up is probably safer and I don't have to worry about leaks and such.

Primarily because I already had the 240V circuit and breaker panel in the garage, so convenience and ease of installation right off the bat.

I'm in the same boat, got natural gas at the house but not out at the garage. I do however, have 240 vac with spare space in my panel so electric might not be such a bad option.