Tranny Coolant Line "Repair" Kit

Gotta pass this on - hopefully it will help someone out. I had a return line quick-connector seeping ATF out on my my AW4 tranny cooler, so I ordered a couple of aftermarket repair kits as pictured below because I couldn't find any of the original Mopar kits for the 3/8" line. The aftermarket kit comes with a plastic snap connector, O-rings, spacer, and "installation" tool. Luckily I ordered two, based on past experience with this junk. Sure enough, plugging it in using the tool into the tranny line female connector housing, and as endorsed by the FSM, it wouldn't snap in to the hard line, and I ended up breaking the el-cheapo aftermarket plastic snap connector.

Using the spare connector, I reversed the procedure by manually assembling the snap connector, O-rings and spacer on the male hard line vs. the female connector, and it plugged right in and snapped shut - no leaks.

Morale of this story? The aftermarket connectors are junk. The snap piece is fragile black plastic. On the OEM connectors it's white nylon, and much sturdier and flexible. I will replace the junk connector as soon as I can find some NOS original repair kits.

83504447.jpg

Don, when I did mine I bought the new metal piece that screws in to the tranny. It had the white plastic piece with it. I couldnt get the tranny line to seat into it right tho. I ended up having to unscrew the metal piece from the tranny and then seating the tranny line into the connector then screwing it to the tranny. Dorman part# 800714

Jim, this is the connector on the front end of the tranny return line that plugs into the oil cooler. And the first time I've used an aftermarket connector instead of the factory one. I got it to seat finally, but destroyed one in the process. I WILL have a stash of NOS factory connectors soon. :D