Torque Converter

Doing a engine, transmission swap on a '94 ZJ. Unfortunately the engine and trans are from different donors. I believe the trans is from a V8 motor and I'm hooking it up to a 6. Should the T Converter be matched to the engine, or to the tranny? Or does it really make big difference? :dunno:

Doing a engine, transmission swap on a '94 ZJ. Unfortunately the engine and trans are from different donors. I believe the trans is from a V8 motor and I'm hooking it up to a 6. Should the T Converter be matched to the engine, or to the tranny? Or does it really make big difference? :dunno:

I would imagine you would want to match the stall of the engine thats in it to let it work at its proper torque range. So I would use the torque converter that matches the engine... Unless they have the same stall range, then I would use the one with the V8 trans.

That said... I believed the transmissions in those were different. I know behind the 6 they put the 42RE, and thought behind the 8 was a 44RE.

Rob L. :dunno:

Not sure what it is out of. The markings on the side of the case are unreadable. The reason I think it is from a a V8 is because the filler tube comes up, out of the tranny as usual, then curves and go behind the engine, between the motor and firewall, with the handle now being on the left side of the motor. The converter from the 6 has lt gray with purple paint marking. The converter from the suspected V8 has lt gray with blue markings. Placed the two transmissions side by side all the fittins and connectors are different, but all the holes are in the same place so just have to swap everything out. I sure miss the old 4 cylinder Jeeps. They were easy to work on. Progress. HUMPH

I believe Rob is right about the torque. Seems like I remember when a kid, we would swap 6 cylinder converters into V8's for a higher stall speed.