Engine Sludge/Carbon Removal

When I picked up the '90 last year she had been neglected and the inside of the engine was nasty. I had the VC and oil pan off the 4.0 and scraped a significant amount of sludge and carbon off everything I could reach. I pulled the pushrods, blocked the pushrod holes and scraped about 2 Coke cans full of carbon off the cylinder head. The timing cover was completely plugged with sludge/carbon and the only free space was where the chain actually moved. The bottom of the block and rods were skunky too.

After scraping what I could and seeing what was inside I figured the best method of non aggressive cleaning was to change the oil more frequently than I normally would. I've been changing oil every 2K miles (2 months) and I recently saw Pennzoil advertised as having extra detergents that remove sludge. Is there any merit to this? I don't want to do anything aggressive like Seafoam because I'm sure there's plenty of carbon waiting to break free and clog passages.

You can use ATF fluid to flush your oil. Use like a 50/50 mix of oil and ATF fluid and oil, run it for a few minutes to get it threw the engine then drain while hot and flush with fresh oil and filter. The detergents in the ATF fluid will do a good job of cleaning. I also have seen and read of people doing flushes with kerosene but thats a little aggressive for me, I like a little gunk to hold my engines together.