Whine in power steering

I know I had a leak. Was backing with the steering turned and suddenly, white smoke poured out from under the hood. From that moment on I had a leak. When I'd hear the whine/hum/buzz start I'd add fluid and it would go away. I changed the pressure hose and bled the system like the book told me to and haven't noticed a leak but yesterday, I was backing into a driveway with the wheel only slightly turned. I heard the whine/buzz/hum. Not nearly as loudly as before though. It went away when I was going forward.

Could there now be a problem with my pump?

possibly.

If it ran out of fluid you could have toasted it, the fluid lubricates the pump as well as providing pressure for the power steering.

If it fails you 'll loose the power steering, as long as it doesn't seize you can still drive the truck, you'll just have to work harder at low speeds.

If you're rally concerned replace it, it's not a hard task, just make sure you get the rental pulley puller at the parts store.

Pull the pulley from the old pump, put on new pump, bolt it in . If I were going to do the pump I'd probably do the other line as well. Chances are it will fall apart when you take it apart.

Oh...hush you say. It was quiet this morning. I barely heard anything when I backed which I did on purpose just so I could see if it was still making that noise. I heard a little but not like in the past. The fluid level was the same this morning as it was when we filled it so I'm thinking it's not leaking although I can't tell for sure until I clean the lower connection off. Gawd, what a mess.

I will also say that when I heard it yesterday it was the first time I'd driven it more then a few miles after replacing the hose. Could it have been that the fluid just hadn't worked all the way through?