1989 MJ - I can crank it but it will not start. Please help.

NC-MJ

The description from AA1: "1989-1990 Jeep Wagoneer AIRTEX Fuel Pump L6-242ci 4.0L F/I Vin L."

Seem to me this unit is for a Cherokee , the Comanche have different fuel pump unit assembly.

You could not use a Cherokee assembly on a Comanche. :no:

If you want to change all the assembly, check at the Junk Yard.

You could change only the pump if you want.

The description from AA1: "1989-1990 Jeep Wagoneer AIRTEX Fuel Pump L6-242ci 4.0L F/I Vin L."

Seem to me this unit is for a Cherokee , the Comanche have different fuel pump unit assembly.

You could not use a Cherokee assembly on a Comanche. :no:

If you want to change all the assembly, check at the Junk Yard.

You could change only the pump if you want.

Thanks for the info. I will skip this unit and go with the pump only replacement. Maybe this is what is preventing the truck from turning over and running. I guess I need to check all the vacuum lines too.

Are there any vacuum lines that if damaged/rotted could prevent the truck from starting if I get the pump replaced??

I have a '91 Cherokee that was doing pretty much the same thing. The pump would run and some gas was making its way to the fuel pump, but the engine would not run. I decided to replace the fuel pump. When I removed the old pump, I discovered that the hose from the pump body to the metal tube leading out of the tank was soft and gooey and leaking. Like you said, NC-MJ, there was delivery but no pressure. This might be your problem. :dunno:

-Tom

I have a '91 Cherokee that was doing pretty much the same thing. The pump would run and some gas was making its way to the fuel pump, but the engine would not run. I decided to replace the fuel pump. When I removed the old pump, I discovered that the hose from the pump body to the metal tube leading out of the tank was soft and gooey and leaking. Like you said, NC-MJ, there was delivery but no pressure. This might be your problem. :dunno:

-Tom

Thanks for the info. I have replaced everything I can think of that might have been causing the problem. This truck sat for the last 10 years with very little use. It wouldn't surprise me if I had the same problem. If it would stop raining I could get back to work!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

-Tom

Hellcreek- I had the same problem you had. The hose from the fuel pump was gummy and split. All the rubber seals on the fuel pump had deteriorated and were sitting in the bottom of the tank or crumbled when touched. I had to drop the tank and drain the gas to get all the rubber seal fragments out. Now I have a clean fuel tank, and a new fuel pump with hoses. The Truck turned over on the first try and ran with no problems. Took a test spin and all seems to be in order.

:cheers:

Thanks to all who posted tips and suggestions. Now that I have the truck running, it is time to start thinking about with plans for my build! jamminz.gif