WTT: My '91 Wrangler for your MJ

terrawombat

I acquired a '91 Wrangler a few months ago and while it's a lot of fun, I really need something with a bed to haul stuff. Both of my MJs are out of commission and I've been on the hunt for a third for the weekend chores that seem to keep piling up. So, here are some details:

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ

4.0L HO Engine with ~118K miles

AX-15 5-speed manual transmission

NP231 Transfer case

D30 (I think) front and D35 rear

Besttop Supertop Sunrider (brand spanking new - less than 2 months old)

Stock hardtop

Besttop locking center console

It's sitting on stock Jeep five-spokes with 31" BF Goodrich tires. The fronts will rub when you turn sharp so the Jeep needs to be lifted some. I'll also include the stock Gambler-style rims that came with it, but they're in poor condition and the tires are dry rotted and don't hold air.

The Jeep isn't perfect. The clearcoat is peeling on the hood and front fenders. There is still a rust spot underneath the JEEP symbol on the passenger side. There was one on the drivers side, too, but I repaired it. It still needs bodywork and paint to look halfway decent. The speakers in the thing stink, but they DO work. It has an aftermarket CD player (Kenwood, maybe?). Everything is all there nothing is missing. The engine runs great and has plenty of power. I still need to take it through inspection, but now that NJ is only testing for emissions, it should pass no problem. The e-brake cable was never hooked up so that's why I didn't take it in the past. The transmission is in OKAY shape - it was pretty bad when I got it and would grind in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I since added Pennzoil Synchromesh and now it will only grind if you powershift into 3rd and 4th. Sometimes 1st is hard to go into, sometimes it's not. All of the lights work with the exception of the passenger turn signal on the fender flare. The wires were cut and I spliced them back together but still no go. I think the bulb socket may be bad or there is another cut in the wiring somewhere further up. The alternator gauge works sometimes and not others, but all other gauges seem to work fine. I just did an oil/filter change on it so it's good to go for another 3,000 miles.

I'm looking for an MJ from the HO years, preferably ('91 and '92) of equal or greater value to my YJ. Based on the YJ market right now, I would value mine right around 3K give or take a couple hundred. The MJ needs to have the 4.0L and must be 4x4 - I'd prefer a shortbed, but won't count out a longbed. I don't care about the transmission - auto or manual is fine. I would like a non-lifted MJ, but would consider a lifted one if it's tastefully done.

Let me know what you got. This is kind of a shot in the dark, but I'll entertain all offers. Current pictures to follow when I get home from work.

Cool! Thanks. Does this kid happen to be from Altoona, PA? If so, I may know which truck he's got ;)

Also have to put this trade on pseudo-hold. Lost the key to the Wrangler a few weeks ago and went to a dealership today to get a couple new ones made. Figured I was as good as gold, but I got home and they didn't work...hoping the dealer just made an error otherwise I'm going to have to change all the friggin' locks. None of the locks look like they were changed in the life of this vehicle but who knows :dunno:

The trade is back on. FINALLY got the right key from the dealer after having to pull the entire ignition cylinder lock out and getting the key code off of it since the one attached to the VIN was apparently incorrect.

Got a couple inquiries out for some MJs around me, but nothing is finalized yet.

Pictures will be up once I get the ignition cylinder lock installed again and can get the YJ out of my shop.

What's the point of a sale/trade without some pics?!

There are some real ugly pics in there from when I first got the Jeep. I could be that person who tries to hide the bad and only show the good (like a fat girl on Facebook), but I'm not trying to hide anything. The Jeep was pretty rough when I got it...body still isn't all that great, but better than it was, that's for darn sure!