Noob - 1989 MJ

Just bought a MJ on 7/15. Std model (4.0, 5spd, with a few minor kinks. Turn signals do not flash. Installed new flashers, bulbs but still no click or flashing lights. I am using hand signals, but I suspect few drivers younger than me have a clue. All other lites work: Parking, head, brake. TS Lever locks and releases OK, but no "clicking". :help:

I went through the same thing when I bought my MJ. Very frustrating much like everything on the MJ.. If your flasher is working then you either have the wrong bulbs in there or a bad socket. My MJ had a bad socket on the drivers side front and two bad rear sockets. They would still light up but no flash.

I couldn't physically see that my plastic bulb sockets were bad. When I pulled the bulbs out and looked down the hole, all looked well, but my turn signals would not blink, they would just stay lit. I went ahead and replaced the front two bulb sockets anyway and that did the trick...I now have flashing turn signals! I never bothered to cut open the original sockets, but I bet if I did, I would have seen some nasty corrosion and poor connections.

Well guys, thanks for the input. My bulbs are new and to spec. No light at all out of all 4 when the T/S lever is activated on either end. The bulbs light up for brake and running and the two new flashers do not "click" either. Not much else to check except to pull the flasher mechanism from the steering column and replace it and that I chose not to do. I am not trying to "restore" this vehicle, just make it legal & so I don't have to stick my arm out the window when it is raining.

I think I will just install a hot rod T/S system with a clamp-on-the-steering-column flasher lever and 4 new exterior light assy's, mounted on the body.

I have chosen to handle the horn in the same manner, a button strapped up top and maybe an OOGAH horn under the hood.

I have named this truck "the BEATER" and it is living up to it's name. :banana:

There's no need to Jerry-rig this thing yet. You still haven't confirmed that the plastic bulb sockets are bad. You have the exact same symptoms as others have had when their bulb sockets were bad. They're not hard to replace, either and the parts are readily available at most parts stores. You snip off the old sockets and crimp on the new ones. I don't remember the exact part number is needed, but I think the ones for the front turn signals were the same as the Ford replacement sockets. Buying new sockets would probably be cheaper and easier than this "hot rod" turn signal setup, anyway.

Ok, sounds like a plan. If I just snip off the old double-contact sockets and buy some new ones that fit the holes dia and snap in, they would be of a universal http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automotive/ligtsockets.htm. And to verify the bad socket before buying, I could just temporarily wire around the socket or use a multi-meter to see if 12v is actually reaching the bad socket by exposing the incoming wire and checking the reading before it goes to the contacts. :hmm:

Again, thanks for the input.