Timing? low idle issues...

What is "way too slow"? How are you measuring, and what RPM does it idle at?

It cuts out until warm,(and if you go into full lock on reverse) and idles at about 700 revs - generally you can hear it struggling and it does "hunt" - just recently the battery light comes on at speed (60mph) too so am guessing my alternator may be failing too?... (however I think the guy who had the truck before me put a different alternator on as there has been a new bracket put on to hold it?....

There is also a bottom end rattle on the engine which I was told was related to the timing - it also runs on a little after the inginition is switched off .....

It cuts out until warm,(and if you go into full lock on reverse) and idles at about 700 revs - generally you can hear it struggling and it does "hunt" - just recently the battery light comes on at speed (60mph) too so am guessing my alternator may be failing too?... (however I think the guy who had the truck before me put a different alternator on as there has been a new bracket put on to hold it?....

There is also a bottom end rattle on the engine which I was told was related to the timing - it also runs on a little after the inginition is switched off .....

I can't even find a spec in the FSM but I think 700 - 750 RPM is the correct idle speed, so you are not idling "way too low." And a low-end rattle is usually an indication of bad rob bearings, not timing issues. Timing on these engines is not adjustable, anyway.

It sounds like you have other issues.

I can't even find a spec in the FSM but I think 700 - 750 RPM is the correct idle speed, so you are not idling "way too low." And a low-end rattle is usually an indication of bad rob bearings, not timing issues. Timing on these engines is not adjustable, anyway.

I was told they weren't adjustable, so I am guessing that a sensor may be malfunctioning, I have no idea where to start as I have never owned a fuel injected motor.. strictly a carburettor gal in the past .... it is getting worse, and will not tick over until its been running for about 5 mins with my foot on the gas pedal.... anyone out there tell me where to start?......

I was told they weren't adjustable, so I am guessing that a sensor may be malfunctioning, I have no idea where to start as I have never owned a fuel injected motor.. strictly a carburettor gal in the past .... it is getting worse, and will not tick over until its been running for about 5 mins with my foot on the gas pedal.... anyone out there tell me where to start?......

well, new leads , cap/rotor arm and a clean of the MAP sensor seems to have helped..here's hoping! ...