wtb steering box

STERLING STINGER

Have you thought about the WJ steering box upgrade? Less turns lock to lock, and it seems to get a good rap from everyone who tries it. Also, since it would be newer, chances are less likely that it would be as worn out compared to a 20+ YO MJ or Dak box.

Rob L. :dunno:

I need a direct bolt in cuz its my work truck andvim real pressed for time. And i STill don't like you

I could honestly not care less if you don't like me.

It is a direct bolt in in lieu of the stock box. I did a quick search on the loose box, and came up with this thread, about the ZJ boxes, and making sure that the stock box is actually the culprit.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20731&p=212752&hilit=steering+box+upgrade#p212752

I am just trying to lead you down a better road here, take it or leave it.

Rob L.

xj, mj from what ive seen are a direct swap... the WJ moves it up on top of the frame rail... commonly used when doing a V8 swap... makes room by getting it away from the inside of the frame rail... i have on myself ill be using... the dakota box i don't think is right at all... now the 99 Durango 4x4 is a upgrade and even more so if you can find one with a snow plow package... they are a bolt on with some washers/spacers being the only mod to make them work, stronger, takes less to turn, and newer... plenty of write up on the net...

Man I'm not sure if i even need a steering box. I heard a clunking , front drivers side, ever sincw then the steering got screwed up. I was under my truck several times to look for something loose...i only saw a uca bushing too tight, from the mechanic who installed my spacers..not me ...lol...i fixed it...but i see nothing else loose...???

Any suggestions

Man I'm not sure if i even need a steering box. I heard a clunking , front drivers side, ever sincw then the steering got screwed up. I was under my truck several times to look for something loose...i only saw a uca bushing too tight, from the mechanic who installed my spacers..not me ...lol...i fixed it...but i see nothing else loose...???

Any suggestions

Paul, best thing to do is to have someone crank the wheel back and fourth, with the truck off and the wheel unlocked. Just back and fourth, not all the way. Places to look when experiencing "loose" steering, are the upper and lower track bar mounts, the joint at the pitman, and the joint where the link attaches the two tie rods together. Also, check to make sure the steering box is tight to the frame. When I was in high school and green behind the ears I took one of my MJ's to a shop because I couldn't fix my loose steering. Turned out the bolts that held the box to the frame had started to come loose... :shake:

They didn't charge me, but I felt like an idjit.

Rob L.

it took me this long to get someone to help me by turning the wheel while i lay under and look for loose crap.

well......when i got my spacers put on, the mechanic put back my end link bushings all upside down and crooked, washers smushed into them...etc

i just put new moogs on prior to my visit to him too....oh well, another lesson....look at your truck after ANYONE touches it...

so i fixed and steering problem went away......it was crazy how those little things make such a diffrence

it even stopped the knocking over potholes....i was thinking shocks..lol

oh well, thanks for everyones advice!