Clutch Problem

So here's the story. I have a 88 MJ Longbed. It had a Peugeot and was 2wd. I recently put an AX-15 and T-Case from a 97 TJ. After installing everything I went to put it in gear, but it wouldnt move. I ran it through all the gears and it still wouldnt budge. My clutch pedal is very spongy and low. If I pump it fast it gets harder, but if I let go for just 1 second, it goes all the way to the ground. I bled the clutch and I still have the same problem. I am using a clutch slave cylinder from a 97 TJ and a clutch master cylinder from the 88 MJ. Anybody have any ideas or any input on what is wrong. Thanks.

you should be able to get a clutch slave/master from the dealer thats pre-assembled and bled, just bolt it in the truck and ride.

if your truck does not move at all with the transmission in gear and the clutch released then you've got bigger problems than a bad master or slave.

could possibly have a backwards clutch disc or somethign else silly going on inside the bellhousing.

i would suggest getting the pedal to feel right before pulling the transmission though, that way you get one problem solved at a time.

was the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder good before?

Yea the master was brand new and the slave was still in food condition it still had a lot I'd pressure

I just took the tranny out today and checked everything. It all seemed to be in place right. Nothing backwards. I'm going to pick up a new slave tomorrow to see what happens.

I just took the tranny out today and checked everything. It all seemed to be in place right. Nothing backwards. I'm going to pick up a new slave tomorrow to see what happens.

i wasn't kidding htat the clutch disc can be installed backwards, and it won't work.

the clutch should be engaged with the master cylinder REMOVED from the truck so if you don't have engagement at all then youve got a problem

does it make any noise or try to move at all?

Haha I know u weren't kidding I removed it to double check it and it was correct.

So I should install the clutch with the master cylinder removed??

It sounds normal when I start it. It just doesn't engage the clutch for some reason. The tranny into the gears without me needing to put the clutch in though

Haha I know u weren't kidding I removed it to double check it and it was correct.

So I should install the clutch with the master cylinder removed??

It sounds normal when I start it. It just doesn't engage the clutch for some reason. The tranny into the gears without me needing to put the clutch in though

nah, i just meant that the clutch should be engaged even if the hydraulics are all screwed up. did the pressure plate have to get pulled up with the bolts or did it just fall on nice and easy?

the pressure plate should not fit flat without the bolts in it. you should have to pull it down against the flywheel with the bolts, (almost abusive) if it just fell right on then it might be incorrect

this is basically because it should be engaging the clutch as soon as it gets tightened down, then the slave presses on it and it releases the clutch.

i don't know if the two will work together or not, that's where my knowledge base runs out bud!

you will have to run the flywheel for your truck otherwise it won't start. but i don't know if the pressure plate from the tj will work, you may need a clutch kit for an 87-90 model and then use your own slave.

Something like that yeah, It would be best to get a new pressure plate but since you obviously don't mind dropping the transmission you could put it together with yor original one and se if it works.

You shouldn't be able to spin the clutch disk once the pressure plate is bolted up, try stickin your alinment tool in it and spinning