Tire Preservation

How should I store my mounted tires to prevent dry rot or deterioration? These tires are new, never ran, not on the truck.

I guess I'm asking mainly for future reference. The 33s that I have for the 87 have been sitting in the shed for about a year and a half now, they are dry and out of the sun. What about wrapping with plastic to prevent ozone deterioration? Or should I even be concerned?

How should I store my mounted tires to prevent dry rot or deterioration? These tires are new, never ran, not on the truck.

I guess I'm asking mainly for future reference. The 33s that I have for the 87 have been sitting in the shed for about a year and a half now, they are dry and out of the sun. What about wrapping with plastic to prevent ozone deterioration? Or should I even be concerned?

Here's a quote from Goodyear themselves regarding their RV tires. I couldn't find one specific to passenger cars - http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/tire_storage.html

* Stack tires flat so that the bottom tire will maintain its shape

* Wrap each tire with an opaque polyethylene covering to minimize the effects of oxygen and ozone. Most Goodyear retailers have storage bags made specifically for this purpose

* If tires are being stored outdoors, they should be raised off the storage surface

* If tires are stored while mounted on rims, they should be inflated to 10 psi

* If they are put in storage during warm weather, the initial inflation pressure should be about 15 psi to offset the pressure drop during cold weather months

"Each Goodyear RV tire contains additives, and as the

tire rolls, they rise to the surface of the rubber to help

protect the tires from cracking. Goodyear RV tires do

not need any other dressings, appearance products or

covers to help protect them. In fact, using products

that contain alcohol, petroleum or silicone products

may cause your Goodyear RV tires to deteriorate, crack

and age more quickly."

I have gone through a lot of tires in my lifetime. I used to be a field engineer and recovery tech. I have asked about everyone and anyone that SHOULD be in the know how to care for tires from storage to OTR - engineers to dealers to manufacturers. No one has ever endorsed an aftermarket application(such as armour all), and all have said the same things you will find on that web page and many others like it. Rotate em, keep em properly inflated, don't run over stupid stuff, don't let the sidewalls touch anything if you can help it, if you plug a tire immediately rotate it out to a spare, mind your alignment, don't put on a smaller tire than the manufacturer had in mind(it may lead to all sorts of wear, alignment, and handling issues), and generally don't be stupid.

Also, if you can help it, don't use too old a tire. Check the last numerical digits after the "DOT" marking for manufacture before you ever buy a tire. I never buy a new tire that is older than 4 years old according to it's DOT date.

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

In the example above:

DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year - Manufactured during 2007

if you cover them make sure its the right type of cover. i know with most other things, like motorcycles and such, the wrong cover will hold the moisture inside, and be worse than no cover. moisture is inevitable.