wtb guage cluster and interior ?

ben3G

i want an aftermarket one not a stock i don't like not having oil guage,battery,heat,ect the o $#!& light doesnt work for me lol i have a manual to so i don't need the auto one if no one has any can anyone tell me where to get one thanks

i wanted to know does the xj bucket seat brackets work on my mj or do i have to buy some for the mj ???

I don't think there are any "aftermarket" gauge clusters. Ive done the swap on three vehicles thus far and the gauges all came from Ebay. generally they go for around $30.00 Either you get the cluster with the speedo, gas gauge, and idiot lights or

speedo, tach, and gauges for all the others.

Not sure there are any other configs. Its a direct swap in the dash but youll need a different temp sending unit for the gauge and oil pressure sending unit.

I suppose there might be another setup out there but I'm pretty sure thats it.

Worth noting, the full gauge cluster from an Xj works fine unless its an auto, then youll lose the P R N D 2 1 selector.

What's vitally important here is year. There are several year generations for the clusters, and they are not interchangeable.

Cluster options are:

Speedo, Big gas gauge, idiot lights

Speedo, Big gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, volt gauge (rare)

Speedo, Tach, little gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, volt gauge

Earlier MJ automatics will have a P RND321 in the cluster for the column shifter. None of these came from factory with full gauges.

I'm not 100% on year ranges, but this is what I believe they are:

84-86

86-mid 87

mid 87-90

91-96

The second and third ones should be interchangeable if you retain your current speedometer.

Keep in mind you'll also need an oil pressure sender, to replace the switch next to the distributor, and a temp sender to replace the switch in the back of the head. The tach may also need to be adjusted, depending on whether or not your truck and the donor had the same number of cylinders.

• 2 weeks later...
i wanted to know does the xj bucket seat brackets work on my mj or do i have to buy some for the mj ???

XJ seat brackets do not work. The MJ seat brackets are different. Do a search and you will find everything you want to know. Oh. Comanche bench seat brackets work on buckets. Also, you want buckets from a 2 door XJ, so they tilt forward.

There is a great write up on buckets seats in the DIY section. It has tons of great pictures.

I just did a bench to bucket conversion and found all the info I needed here. What took the time was to find a set of MJ bucket seat brackets. BUT, I could have used the bench seat brackets out of any MJ. I used parts from 8 different bucket seats to make a GREAT pair of Laredo wing back seats. Much better than the old bench seat.