Transmission control box??

Switching transmissions in my 91' Comanche from a manual to an AW-4 automatic. I had enough time to grab the switch on the dash that says power or comfort for the tranmission. The junk yard was closing and I had only a borrowed vehicle. The wiring was already in my truck for it behind the blank panel they had in it's place. I hope the truck I got the tranny out of is still there when I get a chance to head back to the junk yard. In any case can anyone tell me where the control componets are located that I need to get for the electronically controlled transmission. And what exactly do they do? I'm stoked to get it back going again. I had a U-joint failure at one time that knocked my driveshaft out of balance and I neglected to get it balanced. It vibrated the bolts loose on my bellhousing and it ended up breaking the bellhousing. I had looked for a while for just a bellhousing that would fit and was within my budget to no avail. So whenI was at the junkyard looking for other things I was suprized to find a truck like mine except for the automatic. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Only in a Jeep,

Lloyd

you can run the auto without the controls if you want. you have to shift it manually through the gears and back when you stop. but to answer your question. you need the computer and the wire harness and sensors that goes with it for full auto operation and converter lockup. you need the auto TPS for it to work correctly. there is also a switch mounted to the brake pedal just like a stoplight switch that shuts off the lockup converter when breaking. if you pull the complete auto tranny harness you will find all these parts.

Also you will need the shifter. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You to everyone offering help to this. I made it back to the junk yard and the MJ was still there, minus a few parts but nothing that I needed. I got all the parts I needed except the TPS, Floor shifter and cable. The work is going slowly due to the time frames I have to work in and the weather sometimes not cooperating. And the family and friends who also need help. Some are priority, such as brother-in-law that had a heart attach recently, but is getting better needing his chevy truck worked on. Or younger sister's Grand Am. After I get it moving and legalized I see my next effort being the instument cluster swap. Thanks again for all the help.

Only in a Jeep

Lloyd