Draglink differences?

I discovered that my drag link on the knuckle end is sloppy as all get out. Since its all a large one piece tie rod end (basically) Its not really a serviceable part, and just swaps out.

Luckily I live nearby to quadratec, although I'm not a q-tec fan...and they carry draglinks. They specify 2 different ones, 84-90 and 91-01 (i believe those were the right years but I might be off) they only list them as cherokee part, but I know they interchange.

So on my 0 dollar budget I might go to the JY and pop one off for now, SO can anyone tell me what the differences actually are?

For obvious reasons I would prefer to pull a new-er-ish one. Just don't wanna waste my time pulling a late model if its different somehow. If all else fails I might just buy a new replacement!

When I first went to put an 80s-era D30 on my 91 4.0, I tried to just remove the turnbuckle, and install that way so I didn't have to deal with the TRE. I found out that they were different thicknesses, so I had to swap TREs anyway.

Don't know if this will help since you have an 86 (not sure on 86's), but the 87+ MJ/XJ and even the ZJs all use the same drag link. That's the only front end steering part I didn't upgrade since I could find no upgrade. :D

damned bastard child 86!!!

Well either way it needs the entire draglink replaced, both TREs are shot at the axle side as well as the pitman arm side. So I guess as long as I get 2 compatible pieces they should work. So well see what I come up with and I will report back for other 86 owners!