few days relief then back to acting up . . .

it started acting up again today put 5G of fuel into it and another bottle of Iso alky, after 40 mile of stumbling and bucking i got it out to the farm unload the bed and removed the topper YAy Looks Killer cool ! then from Farm 1 to Farm 2 it started running great but wouldn't idle kept stalling dead once ya let off the throttle . . .

Smelt horribly like gasoline, Did the O2 Sensor test yup sure enough POS :fs1: is dead doing nothing :wall: So ordered a new one should be in Tuesday.

It acted up the whole way home flipping between running and not idling to idling and stumbley bumbley running . . .

Mike

Well, in lou of becoming Jobless in about a month i decided to call and call and i finally found some body with an O2 Sensor in stock ya its $10 more money but i have it now . . .

I need the old jeep to pull out of its little gloomy gus moody situation and and run hard i gotta find some work before I'm out of work . . .

Mike

Changed out the O2 now its puffs black smoke faintly it idle then pours black smoke ! when your on the throttle accelerating . . .

So it managed to fix the stumbling bumbling studdering none accelerating truck now i have a smokey barley idling some time stalling when ya let off the throttle truck that accelerates like a rocket ship ! . . . I bet it went from 20mpg down to like 8-12mpg judging by all the black smoke . . . annoying but drivable . . .

Now what to check ? what to test ? what to replace ?

Mike

Standard is what the box says I was its the same brand it from the factory I'm told ?

Its non returnable so I'm out 60 bucks either way !

Mike

Is the voltage switching back and fourth like it should? Or is it just burying it at 900 mV? What does it do when you unplug the sensor? Does it act normal?

Rob L.

One wire reads 13.9V

Second wire reads 0.00v

Third wire reads 0.90V

The auto parts store said they could have another one of the same unit in a couple days but if it dose the same thing he said some is causing it to do what its doing.

Mike

This didn't happen until you put in their crap sensor... Still have the old one?

The 13.9V Should be the heater circuit, and the .9 v is the sensor being pegged at rich... So it sees that... Hmm. Maybe the "replacement" sensor has the wires crossed differently? If its telling the CPU .9V constant, it should be leaning itself out...

Rob L.

One wire steady 13.9V

Second wire 0.84 reved up-0.92 idle

Third wire steady 0.00V

OHMs sensor side not running :

New unit A to B 0 ohms

B to C 0 ohms

Old unit A to B 13.87 ohms B to C 0 ohms

Mike

Tells you that the old sensor was bad, and making it run hella rich, since it thought it was lean all the time... Maybe disconnect the battery for a bit to clear any stored memory of the lean conditions, and then try again in an hour or so. Touch the cables together before hooking back up to neutralize any residual voltage.

It might just be that it doesn't quite know what to do with the new input of balls out rich, and need to forget it was reading lean and trying to dump fuel for so long...

Rob L.

Battery cables are unhooked i'll hook them up in the AM and see what happens . . . It's annoying but it is at least drivable some what now as where it was undrivable before . . .

Might just be time for a new Computer or a Carburated AMC-V8 :eek:

It's my only usable set of wheels right i'm down as long as its down . . .

Mike

Ok hooked the battery back up, No such luck ran all rich and rough took it for a drive brought it back, my roomie and best friend of 20 years . .wow 20 years . . .anywho he said he a few blocks it ot stalled out now its back to idling perfectly and stumbling on acceleration but i limped it to work at rolling 3-5mph ;) Now he has seen both sides of it acting up the not idle smokey drives and the good idle no smoke non drive :cheers: . . .

So what ever is bad the truck keeps flipping back & forth between the 2 symptoms . . .

I wish i could get a meter on it when its doing the original symptom see if its reading .100V see if its going from one extreme to the other way to rich to way to lean . . .

Mike

Soon as i can get a ride the parts house i'll be snatching up a MAP sensor after that i am blaming the Computer 150% and i'll be blaming the vac system 50% leaving me 200% pissed off :fs1:

:dunno: AMC-V8 :dunno: Nice 2bbl Carburator :dunno: 5spd manual transmission :dunno:

I must love this truck or I really hate myself one of the 2 . . .

Mike