AW4 help needed, stuck in 1st gear

Need some help from you slushbox guys please.....one of the XJ guys in my local club broke down yesterday, he overheated on the interstate. Got it off the closest exit and into a parking lot, blew the upper rad hose. Let it cool down and stop steaming, swapped hoses, refilled coolant and got it running good again. Problem is it's stuck in first gear. I ran up and checked the TCU fuse (good), checked the TV cable (good), TPS looked good (didn't have a meter), fluid was not burnt and level is good. Doesn't shift thru gears manually, but shifts fine into R and D, just won't come out of 1st gear. And, to add, there's no power to the power/comfort switch on the dash (and flipping it to either mode doesn't do diddly either).

Couple other guys showed up and we decided to get his rig out of where it was (straight up in the 'hood and it was getting dark out), so we convoyed him down the road via 4-ways @ 20 mph with him in the rocking chair. Eventually, he started to get an upshift into 2nd, but every time he slowed up it kicked back into 1st and locked in again. Got it to a buddy's garage and called it a night.

What say y'all on this? I'm thinking either a bad TCU, TPS, or OD solenoid (in that order).

Jeff

The first thing I'd do is borrow a known good TCU from a buddy with an MJ/XJ of same year and swap them to determine if the TCU is the problem, only takes a couple minutes. If that don't fix it then move on to a diagnoses test. Want to diagnose that AW4 problem see this, particularly page 3. All you need is a cheap circuit tester. Just be sure to have the ignition in correct position as stated in each testing procedure.

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html

thanks for that link....he's picking up a TCU from the 'yard today and getting a new TPS. I might run down with my meter later on tonight after dinner and see what's going on.

:cheers:

Jeff

With the TCU disconnected (or the fuse pulled), you can manually shift and still should have Reverse, 1st gear (in 1 & 2 positions), 3rd gear (in 3 position), and 4th gear (D position). If ya don't, the tranny is probably bad mate. :D