Rear axle leaking on 86 4X4 xls

Hey guys,

I've never done the rear axle on a jeep before. I was wondering if you had some tech help for me here. How much should I fill up the axle. Where's the best place to get a seal/gasket. And do these things have clutch packs or anything requiring a friction modifier? Where would the RPO code for the axle be found? I didn't see anything in the glove box.

Obliged

Are you talking about around the valve cover its leaking? Or maybe at the fill plug?

Generally, just undo all the bolts on the cover, leave the top one in and let the fluid drain out. Pop the cover completely off and remove all old gasket/rtv. Put a nice bead of RTV around the cover and reinstall it. Give it some time to set up then fill the diff with proper fluid. I usually fill it until fluid is at the bottom of the fill plug opening.

if its leaking something else like pinion seal, or even your wheel cylinders, then thats a little more involved!

Considering the age and unknown what any previous owner may have done or swapped out on these MJ'S a RPO is almost useless. Just do a physical inspection and go from there. IF it's original there will be one or two tags mounted on the differential housing cover. One on the left hand side giving build date and gear ratio. If it's a limited slip there will be another tag on the right hand side giving the data on it. In the real world either one or both of these tags are missing.

Jack up the rear axle so both wheels are off the ground. Turn one wheel. If the other wheel turns the same way it's posi tra, and needs friction modifier. if it turns opposite direction it's not. Look on the back of the axle housing, left hand side. Numbers there will give you manufacture and build date. To fill it, just fill it up even with the fill hole. Any parts house should have gaskets, bearings, etc.

I took a pic, but it's so messy you can not see the 'new' oil for the old gunk everywhere. I am gonna hit it with WD-40 and drive it some to make sure it is not the pinion. It is making some very small amount of whine at fwy speeds(65+), but is otherwise quiet. But, that could be these tires for all I know. I have only had this thing in my possession for 4 days. Just got done fixing the steering pump leak as well. So that has the underside all messy, too. It isn't a locker, but the gears must be decent because even with 265/70's, you do not get very far in first. I was able to climb all but one mountain from Cali to Washington State in 5th gear with this tired old 2.8 V6.

Made that drive many times, which one did you not get up in 5th? My guess is the one at the Oregon/Cali border? Also, where ya hail from?

It's whatever one that goes on forever. I got tired of chugging it in 5th and swapped it for fourth. I made it in fourth at about 50-55mph.

I am from Texas, and currently in WA lookin' for a job :(. I would love to live in Utah, but got no friends or family there. I picked up this MJ from a friend in Clovis, CA for $700 last weekend and drove it up Monday.

I am gonna do both axles and transmission soon here. I assume the front axle takes the same as the back. I was thinking redline transmission fluid for the 5 speed.