4Lo is gone

I Took a little trip tonight. Did some wheeling in 4hi, mostly mud and muck. jamminz.gif Hit some pavement, switched to 2wd. When I got back on the gravel road I stopped to put it into 4hi. The lever wouldn't click in. :( I tried fishing it around and got it into 4Lo. When I put it into drive and let off the brake, the truck lurched forward and made a loud BANG then stopped :grrrr: .

I was almost certain I just heard my transfer case die. I tried again to get it to do something. It will move in 4hi or 2wd. But it will not stay in 4lo, and if I try to force the lever to stay...it will kick it out into neutral. Also, I'm not completely convinced that the front axle is getting engaged when I put it in 4hi. :ack:

Any thoughts as to what happened? ...more importantly, what I'll have to fix?

first i would try putting it in 4hi and jacking up the front axle, see if you can spin the front driveshaft independently from the rear, if so you're not engaged in 4x4.

if you can't spin the front shaft (with the front tires off the ground) then you're in 4x4. try it in 4lo also just for grins.

i would suspect your shift linkage might be hitting on the body and knocking the transfer case out of 4lo and into N

my truck used to do this on occaision when the motor mounts were broken, and it was a VERY violent bang when it happend.

I have no idea. First guess would be that the chain snapped, but that's only a guess. You'll just have to drop the transfer case and open it up for inspection, I'm afraid.

I like where your going with this. I think I'll drain the oil in the t case and see if it looks like someone dropped a bottle of glitter in it. If so, then I'll remove it.

first i would try putting it in 4hi and jacking up the front axle, see if you can spin the front driveshaft independently from the rear, if so you're not engaged in 4x4.

if you can't spin the front shaft (with the front tires off the ground) then you're in 4x4. try it in 4lo also just for grins.

i would suspect your shift linkage might be hitting on the body and knocking the transfer case out of 4lo and into N

my truck used to do this on occaision when the motor mounts were broken, and it was a VERY violent bang when it happend.

but before I do anything, I'll jack it up and try to move the front ds while its in 4hi and 4lo.

I hope to God in heaven that its a motor mount. I'd rather do that, than rebuild a t case right now. I have neither the time nor money for that.

Thanks for the input guys!!